Blood Run Copper

I will have to call greg I just talked to him and forgot to ask him about this stuff we no longer carry the 32 no one was buying it

this is just another case where the fish hawk td will come in real handy to see exactly where your baits are running

At this point we do not know for sure the sink rate other than it is definitely deeper and potentially significantly deeper. We will be pulling some official numbers in April or early May. From fishing it last year we have some thoughts, but that occurred during heavy summer currents. The baseline numbers will come this spring on zero current conditions.

We will make an announcement on early availability sometime this week on our facebook page. There is now very very limited quantity available after what we sold at the GR show. It most likely will sell out this week through our facebook page.

We will not begin new production until after we get the real depth numbers so there will be zero availability for a month or so after this first batch sells this week.

General availability most likely will be sometime in early June.

Blood run is not selling it on line yet but will have it some stores soon , he will also have good hard numbers on the depth curve by may , go to bloodruns face book page for up to date info.It will fit onto a cv 55 ,it is only .002 bigger in diameter than 45 LB m organ copper. Im gonna be running it this year and will report on how its working. jimmy

Blood run is not selling it on line yet but will have it some stores soon , he will also have good hard numbers on the depth curve by may , go to bloodruns face book page for up to date info.It will fit onto a cv 55 ,it is only .002 bigger in diameter than 45 LB m organ copper. Im gonna be running it this year and will report on how its working. jimmy

I quess i am wrong about the diameter of the blood run ,not sure of the dia. but i do know it will fit on a cv 55 . sorry jimmy

I stopped by and talked with Greg, and Joel Saturday. My first impression when looking at it was; it's not much thicker than the current 45#. What it has is a much tighter twist. This means more density/ more depth. I have a roll coming, and will report back as soon as posible.

If the water gets as warm as last year, this stuff could really be a game changer.

Nailer We ran it last year,and if it is the same stuff Gregg sent to me,it appears to be thicker in diameter with less twist,so its very pliable,I'm not sure how deep it was running,but running it side buy side with the regular 45lb copper with the same spoons off of the church walleye boards the 60lb stuff pulls the board back quite a bit more than the 45bl, which makes me think its running deeper,ill know for certain this spring when i put the smart troll probes on it. My thinking was the same as yours about being able to get our lures down deeper when the water warmed up. WE ran it on a 55 convector with 900 ft of 50lb pp,and it fits fine,if you dont use shrink tube on your haywire twists you'll have trouble getting it threw your line guild,it tends to bunch up as all copper will. Again I'm not sure if its the same stuff as Gregg sent me last spring,I was told they would be testing it this year :),I'm sure Gregg will correct me if I'm wrong.

Tony

• 3 months later...

Mark,

We moved one of our boats over to all 60lb copper (from a mix of 32lb and 45lb). We had some real productive copper lengths in the 32 and 45, so it took a while of playing around to find the comparative 60lb segments. The depth data charts on the Blood Run site should help get a cross reference.

From fishing it really hard, we can say this. It does catch fish. It also beats fish to death. We have pulled 20lb kings to the surface with this copper and skip them in like a 5lb coho. It really wears the fish out, and is strictly used to get numbers in the boat.

It really only performs well with a Church TX 44 inline planer board. The walleye boards and other regular size boards drag back too far for our liking. The 44's pull them up forward where we want them. However, the heavy copper with heavy board really requires a loose drag or watching your rod tips. We have dragged 10lb kings and coho around without even noticing, if not for watching our rod tips. There will be slight bounce in your tips when no fish is on, the rod will not bounce at all when you have a fish on. Obviously a big fish will really bend the rod in half and scream drag, but anything other than 10lb+ fish you have to watch it.

You also have to deploy with your clicker on all the time. In fact, we apply significant pressure with our thumb on the reel and pull out hard with our other hand for the first 50 or so feet. If you just start jerking it out with the clicker on like 45lb and apply no pressure with your thumb, it will backlash.

The more you fish it, the more it softens up. It is definitely nice to save your arms an extra 100 feet of line to reel in! It is some seriously heavy duty wire that is for sure and in our opinion forces fish to swim right at the boat. There are no long runs, even on the 20lb+ kings we have had on. The fish swim quickly at the boat with the 60lb, unlike the 45 and 32lb. You have to crank like mad to keep up with them.

I have also been using the 60lb this year although only in 300 foot segments. On this side of the lake we have been lucky with fish shallow or high in the water column most of the year so I haven't fished with it as much as I was expecting to by now. When I have targeted the deeper water column the 300 60lb has replaced my 400 45lb and could not be happier. Yes it is definitely different than fishing the copper you are used to but easy to adapt. With some tweaking of the arm I have been able to pull the 60lb with Big Yellow Birds.