HDS 7 or 8?

So it's finally time to upgrade my sonar/gps/chartplotter and I've been doing a little shopping. I really like the HDS 7's and 8's but really havent talked with too many folks with real life experience on these units. All my info seems to come from the guys wanting to sell them to me. I fish Saginaw Bay a little in the spring and early summer, then the boat stays over on Lake Michigan for the majority of the summer and early fall, then back to the Bay for late season days when I can get a chance to go out. I have radar now and like the idea of being able to upgrade and integrate into a new system. Can both the 7 and 8 run radar while still being able to read charts and GPS? As far as transducers go, I think I want the 50/200 for deeper water, if I remember correctly. What about side/down imagining, that seems a bit over rated for salmon trolling (more of a great bass fishing tool), does anyone have thoughts on that? With or without the insight or lakemaster software? I'm really just looking for real life opinions from real fisherman, not showroom fisherman. I have plenty of dash space and the unit would probably be mounted off to the port side of the dash so it's not in my direct line of sight (opinions are always welcome there too). Thanks in advance guys!

I have a ton of experience with the Lowrance HDS especially now since I live down in TN and Lowrance is huge down here. All the HDSs are about the same as far as function and are great units, so both will do radar/chart split like you want. I like the 8 because of the buttons across the bottom that make It quick and easy to change settings. And your exactly right about the Structure Scan, doesn't do us lake trolling much good, although there is a $300 rebate on the bundle right now so you get it for very little that is the only reason I would consider it. And whichever unit you buy it is usually worth while to buy the built in maps, you really get a lot for your money with those and more maps then you can buy for that price.

It would serve you good although I would caution buying a unit that is soon to be discontinued from Lowrance, if something does wrong with it 2.5 years down the line you will be forces to buy another because they most likely wont service it.

I would strongly recommend you look that the Garmin 741xs too, it is an entry level CHIRP sonar that is touchscreen and does radar and honestly blows everything that Lowrance does away(No Structure Scan but that doesn't matter anyway). CHIRP is the future of sonar and has previously been only available as a $3000 add on to high end units. It is a couple hundred more then the HDS-8 but its not available until may so gives you a couple months to save up the extra cash.

I have just bought a HDS gen2 Touch 7 , networks with my HDS5 , both units have lake Insight on them.

The new Touch series have the Structure scan built in , Just another transducer to buy. No extra module. All of the hds units can run radar right next to which ever screen you have it paired with.

If funds are freely available I would get the 12 but thats double what the 7 costs.

As far as the structure scan looking as much as 300 feet to the side would really be a help in finding fish. Its a mighty big lake any advantage helps.