How to Do the Grand Rapids Show

The Grand Rapids Sports Show is, hands down, the ultimate in Michigan, hence it's name, the Ultimate Outdoors Show. Why, just sitting here in booth 2002, I can talk to folks selling morel mushroom paraphernalia to my right (facing the aisle) and members of the Michigan Steelheaders Grand Rapids Chapter to the left. One booth down from the morel folks is a big Daiwa display, and across the aisle from that are "Tactical Bags and Backpacks." I bought one of those bags a few years ago, and it was $25 well-spent.

Upstairs is some of the finest taxidermy I've ever seen.

I'm giving a seminar on new techniques at noon today but the big event is tonight at the Trout Pond, where, according to the show brochure, "Flounder of Thunder 94.5 FM will host a Bobbing for Trout Competition." That action starts tonight at 7.

Where else in Michigan can you find this kind of stuff?

Last night was a good opener, with a lot of friends and acquaintances stopping by the booth. C'mon by! We're giving away Lindy River Rockers, 12-pound Stren Line and spoons from Dreamweaver, Contender and Silver Horde when you buy a subscription. Hope to see some of you guys here. Mention you saw it on Great Lakes Fisherman and I'll give you a TripZ Diver (while supplies last and I think I only have five).

It's truly a great show, the last of the winter season. I'm ready to go fishing.

If you follow this link, they will email you coupons. http://www.showspan.com/Coupon.aspx?showcode=USG I think they are only good for Thurs. and Fri. The email will say it takes 12 hours to recieve the coupouns but we got them immediatley.

I was there yesterday from 3 pm till 9pm and sat through the Michigan Outdoors big buck night, listen to some interseting and funny stories.

After finishing up a job this morning in Jenison I went back today at 12:30 to spend the rest of the day there. For the life of me I could not find a parking spot. The nearest parking I could find was six blocks away that could accomidate my truck. Said screw it and went back home. I planned on making some purchases and didn't want to carry everything that far.

My new plan is to be there early on Sun. morning so I can park under the building, like I did on Thurs. it was very conveinent.

I was there today from 11:00 opening to 2:30. The best part of the show was seeing so many people there. The store fronts are great too. Dave Mull was giving out his talk when I was at his booth. Sorry to miss you Dave. I was in your "class" in Birch Run this year.

I've gone to many shows this year on my side of the state (South East) and this show on the west side is by far the best.

I was there today to pick up some spoons from Russell Gahegan. He has a big display set up if you need anything. Talked to Terry at the Wolverine Tackle booth. Stopped by the Fish-On booth to look at their arch display. Hoping one might be in the budget for next year. I really like how they flare out the ends of the rod holders so you don't have to deal with end caps. Swung by the Fish Hawk booth but it was crowded. Talked to Karen in the Big Weenie booth and placed an order with her. By then my arm was getting sore so I called it a day. First time I had ever been there and I thought it was a good show.

Stopped by the Fish-On booth to look at their arch display. Hoping one might be in the budget for next year. I really like how they flare out the ends of the rod holders so you don't have to deal with end caps.

Nick, I have both flared rod holders and the ones with end caps on my boat. For safety reasons I like the ones with end caps best. I have bumped into the flared ones with my head and other parts.:lol: A few years ago I slipped and fell onto my rigger board and a flared rod holder. My chest was sore the rest of the Summer. The plastic caps are a lot more forgiving. I use the Tite-Lok black end caps on the two inch OD rod tubes. The Tite-Lok end caps are a snug fit and don't require any adhesive. They don't come off unintentionally like others do. They can also be used on other 2" OD rod holders. The end caps are about the only thing I like from Tite-Lok.:) Frank's has the end caps in 2 packs for $8.:) Just some food for thought and possible replacements for other brand end caps that get lost.:)

Had a great time at the show today....a lot to see and do..and buy. Well worth the drive over there. Stopped and talked with James @ Fish-On Sports, great customer service, he hooked me up with a pair of stanchion double rod holders. They are sharp. Their arch looked great and I think I would like to see one of them in my future. Also ended up with Bubba Blade Fillet knife which my buddy also got one and he picked up a Fish Hawk TD for a great price. We also got some flies and teaser bodies. Sure was a lot of people in attendance.