Running cut plugs

Every year I try to add a new angle on my salmon fishing. This year Im going to try to run a few of the cut plugs.

Who here runs them?

do you retie a different hook on them? every youtube video says they do.

And what do you fill them with? I have seen everything from scent to stips to tuna.

I have 8 of them and they have never caught a fish on my boat. This mostly my own fault I don't adjust my troll to them we ran them they caught nothing I watched a bunch of video on them. Ran them again caught nothing I have tried several scents and different baits with zero results. As soon as we pull them from the spread we catch fish. When I first saw them a few years back I was stoked thought they were gonna kick butt but I can't make a fish bite one so they now are in a dead lure box. I get a dirty look from the crew any time I mention fishing them again.

Same here, run them nothing:confused: must not be doing something right:rolleyes: put a thin fin on and wham don't know what to tell ya, I've ran strips and tuna so I guess I need to learn how to make the productive or get rid of them:( they make it look eazy in the vid.

The best presentation I have found for them is a SWR. I have tried tuna and garlic tuna in them, but the best by far was canned mackerel. Didn't set the world on fire but for negative fish did do better than other lures.

+1 with the SWR. I pack mine with tuna in oil. When I run strips in them I leave a "tail" hanging out and add herring oil. Usually good for a couple fish, but not the hot set-up for me. Also can't remember landing anything over 6-8lbs. with them.

Dave

I run them mid day down deep and they produce fish.

Also really good on the diver bite in the early morning.

Things I found( IMO )

Run better behind pro troll

26-40 inch leader

Run hook throug middle cavity with a red bead then the hook

I have had success with the blue/gold one with a glow bottom. I ran it just as it came, just made sure the hook was sharp. I used tuna in oil with a little garlic powder added. It worked better than anything else when the sun was high and the bite slowed. I ran it on a rigger 5 to 10 ft off bottom with at least 50 ft of setback.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to run them more, the novelty is wearing off for me. Beat results were packed with garlic roasted tuna is olive oil.. I ran them clean, lakers really like the black magic one but I am not much into lake trout.

The factory hooks are garbage, buy the unrigger packs. Black Magic and Blue Dolphin or hiwaiian one is pretty good. Cruise Lake-Link lake Michigan Milwaukee fishing reports and check out Greybeard's posts. Aside from being an awesome fishermen and gentlemen he's on Brad's pro team and knows everything there is to know about cut plugs.