Trolling at night lights on or off.

Spreader lights on for setting lines then a couple small lights just enough to see a hit. Then on for netting. I want to get some underwater lights maybe next year from coastal night lights. We use lightsticks on our planer boards. That way we dont have to have the lights on all the times. I buy them in bulk 4 inch stcks 50 for 17 bucks.

I usually just use my spreader lights to set and net and my stern light gives off enough light to see the rods

I was looking at the the L E D lights that are below the water line and was wondering if the give off enough light to net?

I see a couple of boats out of ST JOE using red led strips inside the gunwales of their boats. It doesn't bother your night vision and lets you see what is going on in the back of the boat. Thought I would give it a try this season and see how it works out for early morning and late night fishing.

• 2 weeks later...

As already posted by Supertramp

"I see a couple of boats out of ST JOE using red led strips inside the gunwales of their boats. It doesn't bother your night vision and lets you see what is going on in the back of the boat."

I learned this trick about using lighting from a buddy with military experience on night missions in helicopters. My buddy told me red lighting won't mess up your eyes for night vision. So I use red light fixtures under the gunnels. You can also paint the inside of a fixture's lens red as well.

I wear a LED head light to set lines and net fish.

• 5 years later...

RED.

Any stern lights are good as long as they are red.  You don't lose your night vision, you can see the gear, and it doesn't make the fish go wild when they come to the transom for netting.

Best source of boat LED's is Superbright LED's in St. Louis, MO:  https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/specialty-high-power-led-spot-lights/25-square-12-watt-led-mini-auxiliary-hunting-and-camping-light-30-degree-red/3462/4566/

One thing to be aware of is that very few companies provide tinned wire with their "marine" lighting, so it's best to cut the wiring provided off close to the fixture and start your own wire run with tinned wire. Good heat shrink tubing impregnated with glue will always make a watertight connection.

Good luck with your decision

red-hunting-aux-light-auxilary-led-jeep.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I switched out my nav lights to LED's few years back and my stern LED which is mounted in middle of my transom lights up the entire stern and can easily net fish just from that light alone. I upgraded my nav LED lights to the 2 mile rating which are brighter and nice to have when fishing the demolition derby at Ludington at night.

Be aware of nav rules which will prohibit any red light being visible other than one that is designated on port bow. In cockpit is fine but if can be seen by another boat CG will have problem with it.

I put these in my boat recessed under my gunnel such they are indirect lighting and are great for rigging or unhooking fish after dark. I turn off when not needed. Walmart LED truck bed lighting

20170819_212352.thumb.jpg.7bd43fe9f1e848cc036eb2713904067d.jpg

Here are old photos of the inside of my 16' sylvan after finishing the LED install, could not wait to finish cleanup prior to testing them.  I was able to use some friend supplied printed circuit module LEDs that are from GM rear view mirrors.  The red lights cannot be seen outside the boat and there is no loss of night vision even after looking down at your feet. 

I also love UV lights for night time mono tying and to illuminate the rods to see a hit.

100_3605.JPG

100_3601.JPG