Smart Troll Pricing

ekbelt

Let's see... have a Smart Troll probe on a diver with a flasher meat rig and something bad happens.

Dipsy Diver (~$12)

11" Paddle/Flasher (~16)

Meat rig w/ twinkies (~$16)

So an already expensive problem at $44+ just got even worse with a $150 probe gone too. No it doesn't happen too often but for that kind of money I get to tow the boat over to the lake and fish for another day. Since I already have the X4, I'm not going to add this new technology to my arsenal very soon and I'd have a hard time buying that over any of the other downrigger based products.

I was under the impression it was going to be a more financially friendly system then those currently out there. Five probes such as the system was originally taughted would quite expensive. Just the one probe system far out prices my Depth Raider....plus I have an iPhone too :)

I think you've got to start out with a kit so you can capture the signal coming back. The individual probes are for replacement or addition. Also need an android device that will be used for the display.

I thought Mathew was piping it was going to be less than the Fish Hawk? how about $200.00 more and up from the Hawk, now he wants you to bolt $150.00 probe on 30# line instead of 150# rigger cable, I guess I'll have to water my money tree more often, I guess I'll stick with plan A, 4xd Hawk, over a grand for the main system is WAY out of my buget!!! $700.00 for a Hawk is a ton of loot, maybe stick to the dive charts,like we did for years, and caught fish, High Teck = big money, just my two cents.:rtfm:

After all the hype I have read about on several forums for this unit it was a big let down to see the actual pricing on one of these systems. I don't own an android device so to purchase one + the lowest priced package offered puts it pretty close to the cost of the X4D so I see no advantage there. A display unit would be a better option as where we fish those with the smart phones (and regular cell phones) are constantly searching for service thus rapidly depleting the battery making it necessary to keep the device charged while out fishing. Other speed/temp units that are available are more within the price range I am looking at as I don't feel depth readings are that important to me as my balls display on my fishfinder and give me a ball park on where they are running and my divers and highlines are staggered so I feel I am covering the entire water column. Although this new unit may be great for some people I don't believe I will invest in one.

If I were to do the Smart Troll I would buy a 7" Android tablet currently available at a pretty cheap price (~$50-70) and use it for the display. Almost all of them will have the wireless bluetooth functionality that the ST needs and since ones that cheap don't have cell phone service the battery life is usually well over 8 hours if you are not using the WiFi connection, camera, and other power consuming features.

Still at the cost for the probes, transducer, and bluetooth transmitter... it isn't going to be on my boat anytime soon. Even then I would probably only put the probes on my downriggers and not the fishing lines. The one downside to my X4 is that it only tells me what's happening on the one rigger it is on. Being able to see the temp/speed info and the impact of currents at different depths would be nice. If the price is the same the Smart Troll has potential.

I thought Mathew was piping it was going to be less than the Fish Hawk? how about $200.00 more and up from the Hawk, now he wants you to bolt $150.00 probe on 30# line instead of 150# rigger cable, I guess I'll have to water my money tree more often, I guess I'll stick with plan A, 4xd Hawk, over a grand for the main system is WAY out of my buget!!! $700.00 for a Hawk is a ton of loot, maybe stick to the dive charts,like we did for years, and caught fish, High Teck = big money, just my two cents.:rtfm:

When you are looking at a Fishhawk X4D which is the only unit you can compare this to ( well not really because of the probe size ) Fishhawk X4D is listed on their website at $795.00 but you do get a screen. The X4D probe is listed on their website $269.00. If you lost the probe you will likely buy a break away cannon ball lead for $11.00

A Smart Troll Speed Depth Temp unit is listed on the website for $650.00 or $145 dollars less then the Fishhawk X4D but you need a screen. You can buy a large 7" tablet at Wally World for $60. Total cost for a Smart Troll with a larger screen is $710.00 Replace speed depth temp probe cost is $200.

Personally I will be using the depth-temp probe for my rods but will be using speed depth temp on my downrigger. A FishHawk TD probe costs $155.00, this is not live feedback, you must retrieve the setup to find out what depth it was running at, and in fact you don't know where your bait was running at because when you let out a rod setup it drops a lot more then the actual running depth. A Smart Troll probe that gives live speed and temp costs $150.

Maybe I am missing something but to me it seems you are getting a more efficient system at a lower cost.

I guess from my point most of the talk was it was going to be less then other setups not just less than the most expensive one. Kinda like being told a new SUV was coming to the market and it would be cheaper than other SUV's only to find it is actually only cheaper than a Land Rover. I am not saying it is a bad deal just that the price point is more than I would pay. But on the other hand I will likely be selling the big boat and downsizing because this sport is just way too expensive. I could eat at Red Lobster every night for less than last years total fishing budget. I admit I overspent a bit last year but with adding the AP other boat repairs slip fees boat payments gas tackle and insurance I spent close to 11 grand on big lake fishing last year and it has gotten so expensive I can't afford to fish anywhere else as it takes me most of the winter to recover so I can fish the next year. This is very likely my last season of big lake fishing on my own boat. I wish I had just kept my 18ft most days.

I guess from my point most of the talk was it was going to be less then other setups not just less than the most expensive one. Kinda like being told a new SUV was coming to the market and it would be cheaper than other SUV's only to find it is actually only cheaper than a Land Rover. I am not saying it is a bad deal just that the price point is more than I would pay. But on the other hand I will likely be selling the big boat and downsizing because this sport is just way too expensive. I could eat at Red Lobster every night for less than last years total fishing budget. I admit I overspent a bit last year but with adding the AP other boat repairs slip fees boat payments gas tackle and insurance I spent close to 11 grand on big lake fishing last year and it has gotten so expensive I can't afford to fish anywhere else as it takes me most of the winter to recover so I can fish the next year. This is very likely my last season of big lake fishing on my own boat. I wish I had just kept my 18ft most days.

Amen! I keep telling people I wish I could recoup the money I have invested in fishing tackle... sadly its gone! I just keep my eyes open for second hand gear most of the time. My goal this year is to spend as little as possible and stick to what I know works.

When you are looking at a Fishhawk X4D which is the only unit you can compare this to ( well not really because of the probe size ) Fishhawk X4D is listed on their website at $795.00 but you do get a screen. The X4D probe is listed on their website $269.00. If you lost the probe you will likely buy a break away cannon ball lead for $11.00

A Smart Troll Speed Depth Temp unit is listed on the website for $650.00 or $145 dollars less then the Fishhawk X4D but you need a screen. You can buy a large 7" tablet at Wally World for $60. Total cost for a Smart Troll with a larger screen is $710.00 Replace speed depth temp probe cost is $200.

Personally I will be using the depth-temp probe for my rods but will be using speed depth temp on my downrigger. A FishHawk TD probe costs $155.00, this is not live feedback, you must retrieve the setup to find out what depth it was running at, and in fact you don't know where your bait was running at because when you let out a rod setup it drops a lot more then the actual running depth. A Smart Troll probe that gives live speed and temp costs $150.

Maybe I am missing something but to me it seems you are getting a more efficient system at a lower cost.

I guess from my point most of the talk was it was going to be less then other setups not just less than the most expensive one. Kinda like being told a new SUV was coming to the market and it would be cheaper than other SUV's only to find it is actually only cheaper than a Land Rover. I am not saying it is a bad deal just that the price point is more than I would pay.

I am with Jim on this one as I too believed that it was to be less than others but is not the case as the Smart Troll does not offer just a speed/temp probe so that does omit the other units as a price comparative.

With over 30 years of trolling the Great Lakes, from bottom bouncing in 200+ water in Lk Superior, banging the bank in Frankfort on Lk Michigan, to dragging drop offs in Lk Huron I have yet to lose a cannonball off my riggers. Although the possibility does exist I would certainly not plan on bottom bouncing a rigger ball with any probe system attached.

As with most everybody with internet access I am constantly searching the best prices on the net for items I am interested in. Today the X4D is listed by one vendor is $709.99 and the TD is listed at $124.99 I understand the TD is not live display but the fact is why put a probe on a line that is most vulnerable to breakage and run it all day. Yes it would be nice to put on a diver line, get a reference then take it off to fish with thereby eliminating the possibility of loss.

For those lines I am unable to see on the fishfinder I am just looking to spread line through out the water column not necessarily being at a specific depth and although not entirely accurate depending on conditions the Precision charts are used for that purpose. As we know, fish are not just at one specific depth but rather rise and fall in the water column as I have caught steelhead on the surface lines and 90 down and salmon at 30' and 85' on the same pass.

I don't doubt that the Smart Troll can be a great unit but as a weekender the cost is prohibitive with gas prices, trailering boat to and from, and trolling...well you get the picture.

outdoors man had the small fish hawk clip on for 109 at their spring sale i believe. and you can get a subtroll or depth raider for around 400. Thats substantially less. granted you have the coated cable. I am going on my third season with my subtroll and no issue yet with my cable. I know people complain about the cable.

AS far as what i spent on gear i agree with jim and am not getting to much stuff this season. Mostly some walleye stuff.

I bought my TD last spring for $118 shipped and saw the X4D yesterday for $700 which they said they would take $680 for it. I ended up purchasing a used sub troll 900 with 200' of new cable for $200.

Just can't understand this set up, "not complete". I have an android phone and a tablet. Running the app would give you a max of 2 hours of battery life. Not too mention trying to see the screen during the day. I have a Samsung tablet and it is a struggle to see the screen outside. I couldn't imagine using a cheaper tablet outside in the sun.

The prices Matthew quoted are retail and very few people pay retail with the internet available.

As much as anyone, I waited for this product to be released. I wanted one, not needing one. After reading all the input from here and the other sites, I will pass.

Ryan we were looking at a few bigger boats then my wife went thru my check book getting our taxes ready. Need I say more right now I would have a hard time getting her to let me get a free boat unless i had a buyer lined up for it. This is a annual thing every year she complains about how much I spend. Since we still have mot agreed on our next house she is even tougher on my fishing budget as she see's it as a road block to her getting what she wants right now. This could all change in a week but to be honest I am thinking maybe I should downsize as I would love a jet sled for winter Steelhead fishing. A bigger boat and a Jet Sled are not in my budget. What could happen is pay off the 26 quit pouring money into it sell the 14 and the other stuff and buy a used jet sled. Then I could budget in about 10 to 12 weekends a year for the 26 and call it at that. But spending 3 or 4 thousand a year on boat gas is pretty much out.