Water levels

Well, with the upcoming coho slaughter about to start I was wondering if anyone had been by the st. Joe or Benton Harbor ramps to see what the condition are for this yr, don't really want to drive close to a hour to find out the ramp is to shallow.

Will be going over next Tuesday to get the slip ready will post a report on the ramps, The St Joe Ramp is always a better bet for deep water launch. Check out the map quest to find good directions to get there. There is a 5 dollar daily park fee but it is safe and patrolled no vandalism reported there. My boat is slipped rite next to it and we always launch there.

Well, with the upcoming coho slaughter about to start I was wondering if anyone had been by the st. Joe or Benton Harbor ramps to see what the condition are for this yr, don't really want to drive close to a hour to find out the ramp is to shallow.

Not sure on the water depths at the DNR launch, but the docks are not in as of Monday. Water didn't look any lower then last fall on the ramp itself, but hard to tell.

Paul C.

I was through saugatuck/Douglas today. It looks like they are going to have issues. Drove past some condos with slips. Sand bar about 15 yards behind the docks.

Ya I've been watching that all winter, I live about 10 min. From there and fish the river all winter, and your write, been fishing the k-zoo for 30 plus yrs and its by far the lowest I've ever seen. Some areas are less than 2 ft that are normaly 4.

Lower St Joe is looking as low as I've ever seen it in my life. Going to check the depth at my buddies slip after I fish the river this weekend. Going to drop a lead on a line to check it. I'll stop by the launch and let you know what it looks like. Probably can't measure depth there but I'll post what I find.

Thanks mike ,that is the ramp I've been useing the last few years , was just concerned more with the water crossing over the center of the river.

What street or marina is the St Joe public ramp on? Never used it, but would like to give the coho a try down there this year...at least once.

Record low water levels for both Lake Michigan and Huron. The Lake Superior watershed has the most effect on these two lakes. I think it's going to be a challenge at most ports this year. Anyone want to get into the prop repair business??

$21MM in emergency dredging funds (grants) are being released for dredging this year. I am more worried about dodging the dredge pipes than hittin bottom. Gonna b A LOT of dredging this year. Shipping ports will get priority but all the west michigan ports seemed to make the list. Go to www.michigan.gov/deq to read about it.

The rough diamond came out of storage today, hope to get out soon and report.

Hey Terry,

We stayed too long fishing on the river and never got down to the docks to check the levels. If I get down there next weekend, I'll try to check. From the forecast this week, doesn't look like a good week to get the trolling season started yet.

I stopped by the St Joe DNR launch yesterday. No docks in, checked the depth on the end of the south wall. It was about 4 ft deep 9 feet off the end toward where the docks sit. That was the deepest area before. Not sure how deep it will be at the end of the middle docks or off the Tackle Haven docks. That was a shallower spot in years past. Wanted to go to the end of the TH docks and check them but they were all locked up. Really need to check it in a boat with a depth finder.