Boat Check Up!

Its that time of year again. Time to make sure everything is working properly.

Check your blower

Check your bilge pump

Check your lights

I always liked to carry a spare drain plug in the glove compartment. Never needed it, but you never know.

Charge your batteries and check them to make sure they are holding a charge

Check your down riggers to make sure they are all working

Check your fire extinguisher and make sure it is fully charged

Check your flares and make sure they are not expired

Check your life jackets and throwable - Mice have been known to do some damage

Check your radio and make sure it is working

Its best to find a problem at home instead of at the boat ramp.

Did I mis anything?

• 4 weeks later...

I bought a new boat, a 24' bayliner monterey, it was winterized by a marina 2years ago and hasn't been run since. My question is should I be concerned about the fuel left in the tank? I'm sure the marina put STABIL in the tank but should I still drain the old fuel out? Thanks

I bought a new boat, a 24' bayliner monterey, it was winterized by a marina 2years ago and hasn't been run since. My question is should I be concerned about the fuel left in the tank? I'm sure the marina put STABIL in the tank but should I still drain the old fuel out? Thanks

I would check for condinsation build up and possible rust in the tank. If that means draining all the old fuel out, well then yes drain it out.

I would take a sample of that gas and check the smell. If it smell varnishy then syphone and replace. Otherwise if it still smells like good gas, and the tank is not full full, then fill her up with fresh gas a bottle or two of dry gas and let her rip.

When I bought my boat it had set for about 9 years since it's last tank of gas. We pulled a bunch of gas out and it still smelt fine. We put it back in the boat and burned it...Of course it wasn't a full tank so we topped it off with new gas but it was all good.

Good Luck.

-Jim

I would take a sample of that gas and check the smell. If it smell varnishy then syphone and replace. Otherwise if it still smells like good gas, and the tank is not full full, then fill her up with fresh gas a bottle or two of dry gas and let her rip.

Good Luck.

-Jim

I agree. If it's an I/O and the gas smells like gas, add a double dose of Sea Foam, fill er up and blast that old gas through the tubes. I usually do that the on the river every spring in my boat just to clean her up before doing any real fishing on the lake. I had gas sit for many years and there was no problem running it through.