Port Sheldon Depths

I'm considering purchasing a house near Port Sheldon, but I have heard about the water depths there being a concern. I haven't been able to find any recent post or info on this topic. I wanted to know if anyone had been out of there late in 2012 that could provide a report on those depths. Should I consider relocating to a different port? I haven't ever been out of PS, but I like the proximity of the ramps to the lake.

Thanks,

Port Sheldon is a small port that mainly services Consumers Energy Coal Fire Power Plant. Probably the only reason it is dredged at all is Consumers, and they only dredge up to the delivery point for water I would imagine (I'm guessing a little here). Beyond that (to the launch) it is VERY shallow and has been for years. I used to dock in Port Sheldon right across from the launch in a guys front yard. The first year we had the boat faced out with about 2' of water under the back...the next year we had to nose in as there was only a foot of water next to the wall...I'm betting that currently he has mud not water in front of his docks.

Port sheldon is a GREAT quick port to get out of if you are on the west side of the lake and actually live ON the lake. Very quick access and very clean water. If you have to use the dock frequently I don't think this is going to be a good year for Port Sheldon.

We havent been back there in quite a few years it is just to shallow and if you get off the channel at all you are hung up. Once was enough for me. Besides the fish cleaning station at holland makes it worth it to go to holland. then i dont have to deal with carcasses at home.

Good news is, if you move to P.S. area and cant make it out of port due to low water levels Holland and Grand Haven ports are only bout 30 minutes away and should see you on the lake. At the cost of an extra half hr. to an hour or so tho...both better fishing ports anyways in my opinion.

I used PS twice last summer in June and July, it was shallow then, drove by ramp in December and the water was down yet another foot. the turn heading west out of the ramp heading out toward the lake always has a sandbar, would not be surprised if that sandbar will be a small island this coming season. my 24' boat was turning mud all the way from the ramp until passed the turn.

Thanks for the info and quick responses. I probably won't get to choose the house I want anyway, as the wife will want to have some say in that dept. Unfortunately, she has a bad track record. It has taken me 7 years to fix our current house so I can get it on the market. Regardless of where I buy, it will be closer than Indianapolis, so I shouldn't be too picky I guess.

Thanks again.

Just try to stay on the west side of Grand Rapids, it's a pretty short drive to Holland or GH from just about anywhere on the west side. We live in Ada and it's 40-50 minutes. We like it there but I wish we were closer to the lake, and not just for fishing.

not only is the water levels at port sheldon pretty low, but a lot of the people who use port sheldon arent exactly pro's at loading/unloading boats or dock etiquette. it can be a circus at busy times.

not only is the water levels at port sheldon pretty low, but a lot of the people who use port sheldon arent exactly pro's at loading/unloading boats or dock etiquette. it can be a circus at busy times.

Thats no lie. I think they go there so they dont get yelled at like they would at holland or grand haven.

Just like most launches especially on the weekends. Buy a boat get a MC number and away you go. No experience necessary.:lol: It can be more amusing than the Saturday morning cartoons. I have nothing against beginners but some education should be mandatory.

Just like most launches especially on the weekends. Buy a boat get a MC number and away you go. No experience necessary.:lol: It can be more amusing than the Saturday morning cartoons. I have nothing against beginners but some education should be mandatory.

I completely agree. When i started to drive one of the first things my dad did was hook up the boat and off to a parking lot. he set up cones for a launch area and it was practice practice practice. every weekend till i could do it in my sleep.