Salmon Showdown show observation

I've been watching the Salmon showdown on Vimeo which follows a few tournament boats in the 333 and other tournaments. I am noticing that the vast majority of the fish caught on that show are on Flasher and fly, flasher and 3 fly meat rig, or big paddle and fly. Only one or two on plugs and one or two on spoons. In a typical spread of 9 rods or more I only usually have 25% or less with a flasher and fly. Apparently I am missing out. Anyone else have thoughts on this.

I fish flasher/fly AT LEAST 75% of the time. It takes more practice and can be less forgiving than just spoons and plugs are. Some days if your program is not dialed in you will not do well fishing flies.

Another thing is all the 333 episodes so far have been during the first half of the season. As the season progresses with the show you may see more use of spoons and plugs. Especially as the final episodes conclude with guys fishing pre-staging and staging kings.

meat works better in the northen ports,

but what a mess

Check out cold water tackle and thier line of batrix imatation herring strips,I have been using them for years and see simular results as using real cut bait but without the mess and hassle of real herring. Also I have used the same strips for over a couple of seasons as they are durable.

In Ludington I run alot of spin doctor fly or meat rigs when the fish go deep,the rigs just give off alot of vibration for the fish to hone in on.

I noticed they have teaser flys tied onto the line in front of the actual fly with the hook. Where are these available? I have been looking all over the web for them, but haven't found anything yet.

Check out Big Weenie. I know he sells teaser rigs.

From what I've heard from some captain's fishing these larger tournaments is that spoons will catch numbers of fish (and they have for me out of Holland); but flasher/flies, meat, and plugs are more consistent for large fish (as required for 333). Maybe this means you catch fewer fish, especially dependent on your port and time of year, but there definitely seems to be something to it. Will be using that as a strategy this year on my boat.

http://www.rapturetrollingflies.com/

Just picked up some of these at the seminar at Anglers Ave, in Sheboygan this weekend.

I used a big weenie mini meat rig last year with success, but it doesnt sound like the actual teasers matter much or even that there on the rig at all.

Get the roll right on the bait head and your in business.

As far as the 333 goes, they are looking for a few big bites so your gonna see more flasher flies and especially meat. We never caught a shaker or 8 lbs and under fish on mat last year. Some of these tourneys they can only catch 10 fish before there done, no sorting, no nothing, just done. I wish I had that problem, but you get the idea.

And last...there are sponsors for the show, they are not going to show you 10 fish in a row on something that does not support the show.

Lots of spin doctors shown. Sure they catch fish and I like them too, but you are only seeing a small chunk of the day on that video.

From what I've heard from some captain's fishing these larger tournaments is that spoons will catch numbers of fish (and they have for me out of Holland); but flasher/flies, meat, and plugs are more consistent for large fish (as required for 333). Maybe this means you catch fewer fish, especially dependent on your port and time of year, but there definitely seems to be something to it. Will be using that as a strategy this year on my boat.

Well said Jason. We always have a white/glow paddle and Big weenie Poofster running lowest looking for big fish.

Spoons pull numbers, and flies pull size.

Can you tune tune the spin doctor's to run with spoons or do you use all SD's or paddles?I've tried SD's a few times with no luck.In saying that our salmon fishery on this side of the lake isn't the same as you guys have.I think I caught 3 or 4 chinooks last year,biggest about 8 lbs,the rest are coho,bows,lakers and pinks.

:thumb::thumb:

We ran plugs, and meat from the muskegon tournament until we pulled the boat at the end of the season! Its a myth that plugs and meat dont work in southern ports

Can you tune tune the spin doctor's to run with spoons or do you use all SD's or paddles?I've tried SD's a few times with no luck.In saying that our salmon fishery on this side of the lake isn't the same as you guys have.I think I caught 3 or 4 chinooks last year,biggest about 8 lbs,the rest are coho,bows,lakers and pinks.

You can run spin doctors with spoons mixed in the spread as they are more speed tolerate than paddles at least in my experience. I prefer to run paddles at a slower speed than I typically do spinnies and spoons.

I run 11' paddles, 8' spin doctors, and spoons all the same speed. 2.9 on the gps.

I run flasher/flies and flasher/meat as soon as I start fishing in deeper water. Not sure about the numbers and size comparisions as I know charter captains that can limit quickly running predominately flies and meat. I think what I notice is that the southern boats and wisconsin boats are more likely to use the spoons and plugs than the northern boats. Also realize that the program is edited. It all boils down to having confidence in what one is running.