Speed n Temp

Its time for me to get speed and temp at the ball. In the past I always judge speed buy the bend of the diver rods. In the quest of wanting to Learn more I feel this will be a good investment. I just need some direction.

Thanks to all who reply.

Grizzly

Hey Grizz, always a good question. The newest Fish Hawk probe is probably the best one available, not that badly priced either. I do believe that several of the rigger mfrs. also have their version available. Keep in mind, this tool is the "Best Investment" you can have for fishing on the boat, in my humble opinion. When you "know for sure" what the conditions for speed and temp are where your lures are at, you have a very distinct advantage of targeting and hooking up the fish, no doubt. You'll never regret the decision once you've owned and fished them. Just a reminder, the rigger you use that probe on, make sure your wire is new, or newer, no twists, knots, fraying, or any defects at all. You don't want to lose it because replacement of that unit alone is about $300 now. A lot of guys forget this, then lose it, and get peed off too often.

40 years ago I convinced my Dad that along with the fishfinder and downriggers we needed to get a downspeed unit. I saved my part time job money and bought a ProCombinator when it came out. Since then have used the FishHawk 840, then the Depth Raider and now the FishHawk X4. In my opinion the X4 is the best unit by far. I really appreciate that it doesn't need coated cable and a set of batteries in the probe last all year. The display is easy to read in the dark or daylight.

I also think aside from the rods/reels and lures onboard, it is the most important piece of equipment on the boat. A good fishfinder is probably a close second but even if you know the fish are down there, you still have to be running the lures at the right speed and be able to duplicate it when going different directions. With the various currents at depths in the great lakes, it is difficult at best without the down speed. Sure you can use the bend in a diver rod or the blowback angle on a rigger cable but I have had many days where one or two tenths of a mile/hour difference meant catching fish rather than washing lures. Very hard to use rod/cable angles to detect that subtle of a difference.

Hey Grizz, always a good question. The newest Fish Hawk probe is probably the best one available, not that badly priced either. I do believe that several of the rigger mfrs. also have their version available. Keep in mind, this tool is the "Best Investment" you can have for fishing on the boat, in my humble opinion. When you "know for sure" what the conditions for speed and temp are where your lures are at, you have a very distinct advantage of targeting and hooking up the fish, no doubt. You'll never regret the decision once you've owned and fished them. Just a reminder, the rigger you use that probe on, make sure your wire is new, or newer, no twists, knots, fraying, or any defects at all. You don't want to lose it because replacement of that unit alone is about $300 now. A lot of guys forget this, then lose it, and get peed off too often.

Thanks for the reminder. Been there. Done that. I've got the Fishhawk. New probe. Old head. Battery lasts all season. New cable on the probe rigger. Works great.

Its time for me to get speed and temp at the ball. In the past I always judge speed buy the bend of the diver rods. In the quest of wanting to Learn more I feel this will be a good investment. I just need some direction.

Thanks to all who reply.

Grizzly

I have run them all from Depth Raider to Cannon to Subtroll to Fishhawk and by far the Fishhawk performs the best. That being said there are reports of a new product being introduced at the Grand Rapids Sport Show, that really seems to have potential.

Hi guys first time to post on here.been fishin erie for only a couple years and im highly addicited[imagine that]anyway just bought a used cannon speed and temp on ebay [another addiction]want to try lake o this year.i cant get a grip on how to attach to downrigger ball or cable.any info would be appricated.love this site .Thanks

Thanks everyone for the honest input. I look forward to this season with more stuff to learn. This should help out when searching for the break in temp.

Again thanks everyone this is what makes this site awesome.

Grizzly

Hi guys first time to post on here.been fishin erie for only a couple years and im highly addicited[imagine that]anyway just bought a used cannon speed and temp on ebay [another addiction]want to try lake o this year.i cant get a grip on how to attach to downrigger ball or cable.any info would be appricated.love this site .Thanks

Most probes now are simply hung at the end of the cable on a swivel with the cannonball underneath, though I haven't seen the new Cannon probes.

The old style Cannon Speed 'n Temps have an arm you weave the down rigger cable through. They also have a short length of cable with a snap you clip to the downrigger cable as a safety tether so you don't loose the probe.

I am voting for the Fishawk, no need for special cables and batteries last for months. Just another transducer on the boat and the speed n temp unit on the downrigger cable. I do add a breakaway to the downrigger ball if it gets hung up its a lot less expensive to replace a ball than a temp unit.

I have had a Depth Raider for going on 5 years very few issues and I still like it. I wish it read actual depth but not enough to spend what they want fro the new X4D. I also have a GT40 that I can send down to get actual depth and temp. The new Smart Troll system is very much of interest to me and if it is priced in my budget it may be on my boat this spring. It would be cool to know where all my gear is running.

When I bought my Depth Raider the only choices were the Sub Troll which looks like the tack in a 70's muscle car or the Fish Hawk with a big ugly display and a huge probe that ate batteries like snacks. The Depth Raider had a nice digital readout a small probe with great battery life. It was also way cheaper than the Fish Hawk. Since then Fish Hawk came out with a new display and probe Cannon gave up completely Moor has no changes I know of. The new Fish Hawk had no features my Depth Raider did not have so why change? The new Fish Hawk X4D offers depth but still has many limitations I don't have with my current setup. This new Smart Troll sounds like a great setup and I will check it out with interest. So while I am aware the Fish Hawk is a great unit and I am very happy they are a sponsor of one of our tournaments I can't honestly say you must buy it.