Trailer Check Up!

Its that time of year again. Has everyone did there preventive maintenace on their trailers. Here are a few things you should do before you start hauling your rig down the road.

Check the lights, turn signals and flashers.

Check the tire pressure in all of the tires...Do not forget to check your spare.

Clean your wiring plug and put some dialectric grease on the contacts.

Check for broken springs on the trailer.

Check your trailer brakes, and brake fluid if you have hydraulic brakes.

For those that have electric winches, now is a good time to verify that it is working.

How many of you have ever removed your lug nuts and appled some grease or antiseize to them? Your trailer is in and out the water many times during the season. Lug nuts are known to get rusted to the studs. Now would be a good time to do this instead of being stranded on the road because you can not get a lug off.

Did I mis anything?

also Check your wheel bearings and repack, how many trailers have you seen on the side of the road..Personally I do not like bearing buddys as they are overgreased which will cause premature bearing failure. I prefer to repack bearings at the beginning of the season and if the trailer is in and out of the water alot, it doesnot hurt to repack them again midway thru the season.

also if you r purchasing new tires, consider getting them filled with nitrogen as the tire pressures are more stable since there is no moisture in the nitrogen and it will also promote longer tire life as well.

If your tires are in good shape you can also get them refilled with nitrogen..

Stopped by Dexter Axle in Elkhart last week and picked up 4 new hubs & bearings. Time to redo the hubs & brakes on my trailer. I expect to be heading down to Erie a lot this season. The old hubs were skimpy and two piece that are not made like that any more. That and a brake job should do me good.