when do you change braided line

was talking to gracen at the outdoorsman and he was saying his braid divers are going on thier seventh season and he hasnt had an issue yet. He uses 50 lb power pro. He said PP says to replace every three years.

I have a few going on their sixth season this year. when it starts breaking for no reason then i will replace it but not till it rots if it does rot.

I used to change my Fireline out every 3 years or so... not so much because it was going bad, but because it was turning white. Since going to Power Pro about 8 years ago I haven't changed it at all and aside from trimming back and retying the connection to the divers/snap swivel. The PP backing on my cores and coppers are on their 8th and 4th years respectively.

I also have neoprene covers for all of my reels to keep sunlight off the line when not in use. Also helps to keep the reels in nice shape.

i,ve been using my 65 lb braid now for about 10 or 12 yrs. i still cant brake it with my hands so its still good. but i have had to refill a couple of reels after some tangles and couldnt get the same line. so i plan to respool all my reels this year with the same brand line.

sherman

I think the main key to longevity is the amount of trips you run out per season, and mostly too, the exposure to sunlight. Keeping a cover on the reels, putting them in the cabin when not in use, and storing them out of light offseason, are key ingredients to long life. Good question, and great posts, as usual here at GLF.

I was told by a lady last year at the novi show (was selling her new brand), that it will not need replacing for a very long time, like 15 - 20 years. She seemed very knowledgable about the manufacturing process and stated that there are only 3 ( if memory serves correct) manufactures of the base material, 3m, honeywell, and some other. From experience, I've had and old reliable spinning reel with some very early spider wire that I still can not break by hand and it gets worked hard every fall and spring jigging the nasty saginaw for walleye. If that river doesn't disolve it in a season or two it must be some tough stuff!