Coast Guard Inspection's

Jason Grimm

I am wondering if there was anyway to have your boat inspected at the beginning of the year and have a sticker issued so the coast guard will see that you are good for the season.

I was pulled over three times out of Muskegon last summer. At times I would have any where from 6-12 lines out and it is a pain to reel everything in, reposition my rigger arms and ect. They don't even wait for you to reel everything in and my lines got wrapped around their boat, it took three of their officers to grab my lines to untangle my gear from their boat.

I appreciate their service and what they do for us to ensure our safety, but isn't there a better way? Like catch me when I am returning to port or have a pull over spot at their station?

last year west marine have the auxilery at the muskegon location..ive been pulled over a lot in muskegon also..it can suck at times and i understand your frustration but i am very glad they are out there and doing theyre job..a sticker on the side window dont mean you wont get pulled over either..but it does help ive noticed..i would give west marine a call and see if they plan on doing this again

The CG Auxiliary was at the AuGres DNR Launch a few years ago doing inspections and making recommendations. The sticker will get you a wave most of the time from the CG. Unfortunately there are so many floating violations that the boat owners aren't aware of. It would also be a good idea if any of you haven't taken the CG Auxiliary or Power Squadron class to do so. It's very evident at the launches and on the water that a good share of the boaters haven't taken the classes. Everything from boat launch etiquette to VHF radios is covered. It's well worth the time and effort.:)

I did pass the inspection and received a yellow piece of paper. It did allow me to go free for the next two inspections, but we still had to stop what we are doing and reel our lines in so they can read the paper to make sure it is authentic.

I called West Marine and spoke to Grant, he was unsure when the CG auxiliary meeting was going to be held, but pretty sure it would be around end of April.

One factor that I couldn't understand is the smaller boats 14-16 footers that are out there fishing with me are not inspected.

I fear that like other government agencies that are in need of funds that an unspoken reality is that the government is seeking funding any way it can. I believe they should be very slow on stopping people just to inspect and should have valid reason most times. Let them inspect in the parking lot or at the ramp. Stoping guys while fishing is uncalled for unless they have good reason a violation is taking place.

That being spoken boaters need to not give them reason to suspect everyone and obey the rules and be safe.

I fear that like other government agencies that are in need of funds that an unspoken reality is that the government is seeking funding any way it can. I believe they should be very slow on stopping people just to inspect and should have valid reason most times. Let them inspect in the parking lot or at the ramp. Stoping guys while fishing is uncalled for unless they have good reason a violation is taking place.

That being spoken boaters need to not give them reason to suspect everyone and obey the rules and be safe.

There may be violations that aren't visable so that is why they have to board , like working bilge pumps,blower motors,flame arrestors and so on.With that being said I encountered the same problem of being stopped 3 times in a month in Ludington and a call to the commander had the crew write down my boat name and number and they never stopped me again that season.Even with an annual auxilary inspection they still tend to inspect you. I for one will never see it as a inconvienence to be inspected as you never know when you may need them.