New Depth Probe??

pap

Word has it that there is a new depth probe coming soon, aparently, it will first be seen at the lotsa show in march, there is a post on LOU web, by a member name Mathew, who has been testing this product for 7 years, it wil have multipul probes (5) that can be seen at the same time buy the units face,and also by a smart phone, from what I gather you can attach it to multi. line, copper,your dipseys and the rigger lines all reporting speed and temp. and depth on or at that line, no more guessing where you are in the water column,and it's supposed to to be less money than the fish hawk, so we will see what is to come, hopefully soon!!! PAP.

Mathew did comment that it is not 'Torpedo Brand' He did go in to a little detail about (where we thought our coppers were running), saying that copper does fall fast thru the water column, it seems to find a depth after (10 minutes in the water) that it levels out. I don't want to say anymore about the copper because I'm not to shure I will get it right and don't want to mislead anyone! After reading it again it does read that you will be able to run 6 probes, I said 5 in my earlier post, thats a lot of info to moniter, but what a great feature!! Stay Tuned as I find out more I will post what I know! PAP :thumb:

I went to the LOU site and read the post, very interesting to say the least. I am in the market for a probe and may wait for this unit to become available. Some of the concerns that I do have is interference with neighboring boats. From the sounds of it you can attach the unit to 450 copper and that is a long way behind the boat.

So when my neighbor cruises by will I be reading his units or vice versa? Does each of these 6 probes require special batteries? How accurate are the units, especially when it may be 450 feet behind the boat and 80 feet down. If a line breaks off, what is the replacement cost for a probe? It intrigues me as to how the wireless unit knows where the starting point (zero depth plane) is located so far behind the boat. These are some of the questions I will have at the GR show.

It should be interesting to validate our observations with regards to how much current and temperature layers impact the ability of your gear to fish where you want it to fish. We have long known of leadcores inability to successfully penetrate different temperature layers, and of coppers ability to do so. We have also known that your program can change dramatically depthwise when you "turn" to go back to fish. Your hot diver out 200 is not in the same place it was after you did a 180 turn and are now going a different direction in the current.

While it will be useful to see what is really happening down below, it most likely will not be a tool used to make continuous adjustments to your program . Divers and coppers will move up and down fairly regularly, and trying to adjust your entire program just because one of your rods goes off every time the depth measurement says X number could be quite maddening. As a rule now, we know when a rod gets hot, we have a general idea of where in the water column it is, and we make sure we have a number of other rigs in that same vertical layer.

It could be found that use of this device on multiple rods would be the equivalent of trying to walk down a sidewalk only looking through a magnifying glass, rather than taking into account the entire picture around you. Adjusting your program to only fish at X depth or X temperature will severely limit a guys ability to catch active fish wandering through other layers of the water column.

With that said, we hope to get our hands on one to validate what we have experienced in the past. I imagine the fixation on "where my copper is" or "how far down my diver is" will largely go by the wayside as they should be found to be wandering rigs that cover a whole layer of the water column rather than running at just a specific depth.