2012 Hot List

Flyboy

Found myself watching 333 tv episodes instead of working today...spring can't be here soon enough! Nailer's post the other day about his frozen toad yellow spoon had me thinking about all of our hot baits this past year. The beginning of the season we did very well on green and pink mirage flies. The big white pearl paddles with BW proctologist and poofster flies were outstanding after July. This past year the go to Double Trouble hadnt done as well as in years past....not sure why but there were numerous trips where this couldn't buy a hit. Moonshine's new RV series proved very effective on our boat, however, and on coppers and cores they couldn't be kept in the water.

What were your favorite setups for the year? Going to try anything new this season? Lets hear it, I'm rewatching 333 tv episodes just to get myself through the winter....

<a  href=%7Boption%7Dhttp://www.greatlakesfisherman.com/gallery/files/1/1/4/4/photo_840109.jpg' alt='photo_840109.jpg'>

since your looking for a list..at least one of these spoons are out every trip and very rarely let me down...all silver streaks..from left to right..t-rex,kevorkian glowback,blueberry muffin,hat trick,miami dolphin,moldy muffin,veggie delight,hot mango,blue mango,lemonberry and panty ho.

Moonshine RVs were very good last year as were the Stinger UV spoons. Old stand by NBK, M&M, Blue Glow and Green Glow Dolphin, and Mixed Veggie were also good spoons.

Probably my most successful presentation though was with 11" flashers in many colors but especially the Big Weenie UV with BW meat heads and cut bait herring strips and whole alewife. Mosty ran these off divers but also deep riggers.

From mid July on, Ace High 5" plugs did well but not as good as 2010 and 2011. Ghost and Glow Green, Glow Blue, and Glow Purple swiggle and splatter backs all worked well.

Some of my hot spoons were silver streak dolphins, mixed veggies, lemon berry and panty ho. Stinger spoons were NBK and mixed veggies. Moonshines spoons were old style double trouble and another one ??? can't think of the name. Northport Nailers in green and white. To many combos to list on flashers and flies but white flashers and green or blue files were good.

I would really be in the nees of new spoons, since my old ones are just OLD SCHOOL, If I were to buy 10 spoons to get me through the season from spring to fall, what colors, and why, and for what time of the season would I run these spoons, I thought about this question for a while, so to keep the spoon cost down,and the confusion at a min. I ask you guys for some help!!After I get more on the ball I will purchase more, but for now 10 should do the trick, I got this Idea when I saw a picture of spoons on this web. saying he used them spoons all year, I need to know what spoon at what time, meaning time of day or overcast or a seasonal differene, That would info would help me out very much. thanks guys PAP:thumb:

I would really be in the nees of new spoons, since my old ones are just OLD SCHOOL, If I were to buy 10 spoons to get me through the season from spring to fall, what colors, and why, and for what time of the season would I run these spoons, I thought about this question for a while, so to keep the spoon cost down,and the confusion at a min. I ask you guys for some help!!After I get more on the ball I will purchase more, but for now 10 should do the trick, I got this Idea when I saw a picture of spoons on this web. saying he used them spoons all year, I need to know what spoon at what time, meaning time of day or overcast or a seasonal differene, That would info would help me out very much. thanks guys PAP:thumb:

Warrior Blue Pearl.. ran it every trip last year and always took fish

Early a mixed veggie on a 7 color was so hot I didn't dare take it off the worthless rod and reel it was on even though it was a pain to reel in. Mid summer there was a little while when some big kings came in to 50' and a spoon like an Old yeller was incredible. It was mostly chrome or silver with a slim yellow side bar. Later midsummer it seemed like most things worked till it slowed mid August when that real cold water blew in.

The rule of thumb is dark colors on overcast days, bright colors on bright days but I don't think time of day or point of the season matters much. I've had Moonshine glow spoons get hit early when its dark and at noon pulling lines. I've had hot spoons stay hot through the whole summer and others that were on fire around Memorial day that couldn't buy a hit after the 4th of July.

Put something out a few times. If it gets hit keep it out, if not then run something else.

Thanks guys, I'll make a list up with the ones that were mentioned on here, and go from there, next question, do you run these spoons solo or do you run them behind a dodger or flasher, and whats your preferance on them, I ran flasher/fly combo's with success but I read that dodgers make noise when trolled and that attracts fish also, true or false, read it on a lure making web site, (Dream Weaver) Thanks pap.

<a  href=%7Boption%7Dhttp://www.greatlakesfisherman.com/gallery/files/1/1/4/4/photo_840109.jpg' alt='photo_840109.jpg'>

since your looking for a list..at least one of these spoons are out every trip and very rarely let me down...all silver streaks..from left to right..t-rex,kevorkian glowback,blueberry muffin,hat trick,miami dolphin,moldy muffin,veggie delight,hot mango,blue mango,lemonberry and panty ho.

Hat trick was unstoppable

This is a great thread, Just sit back and read what worked for you guys, I learned more from this thread than any other!! I made up a list of spoons, and I found out I already have some, The kevorkian purple, and hat trick, so I still need to purchase a few more,I know less is better, being a walleye guy I have lots of michigan stingers, and some time you get caught up in the color thing rather than watching the screen and paying attenchen to where the fish are. I also need to get some spin doctors and flashers, the new colors are way better than what I have, Keep posting guys&ladies I'm still learning THANKS ALOT, PAP.

• 2 weeks later...