Coastal Night Lights LED Spreader Lights

CITM

I wanted to share a good experience I had yesterday with Chris, the owner of Coastal Night Lights. I had a light "failure" I'll call it, last summer, which was in no way the fault of the light.

I sent Chris an email yesterday asking if the light could be repaired or if I should buy a new one. Within a few minutes he replied, asking if I was still at the same address the previous order was sent to and that he would have a new light out the next day, no charge.

He makes a great light, and obviously the service is exceptional. If you're looking for LED spreader lights, take a look at his lights.

Interesting...we switched to LEDs last year where we previously had Halogens. We really liked the distance we got out of our halogens, being able to see the planner boards 3 wide way out there (without flags). When we changed to the LEDs, we can't see 100 yards behind the boat. Needless to say we were disappointed. What kind of LEDs do you have that you are pleased with and how far back (approximately) can you see?

Actually none of the work lamp, spreader LED's have long throws. My Halogens would throw 2 times as far as my LED's. That is due to the design my LED's however do a much better job of lighting the back of the boat and use 80% less current to do it. You can however buy LED driving lights that will shine as far or further than your halogens. But inside the boat they will be a small beam like little flashlight. I have considered putting a set of the LED driving lights on the sides to see the planer boards at night.

If you aim the Coastals the right way, they shine plenty far to see all of your boards and the deck. We can see 5 on a side with them. Put some white DOT tape on them and it's awesome. All lights are not created equal. Have a boat at our Marina with the Taco LED's and they suck majorly.

A few years back I put glow tape on all my boards I could find them at any distance in calm water with my UV flashlight. Because each LED is directional it is tough to make a array that does as well as a single bright bulb. Also there is a safety factor built into them so that they never operate at full output. Many of the lights are rated for 10 to 50 vdc input you can bet they are much brighter at higher voltages. mine are bright at 13.6 they are blinding at 27.2 and are rated for 10 to 50. One of my secondary projects has been to build a set of UV lights for my lure storage so I can glow all my lures at once if I choose. I have a lure board under my port gunnel with a black light above it and it is cool at night to have a full rack of lures glowing in it. However the black light kept failing so i gave up on it a few years back. However if you want to see try a set of these http://store.arbusa.com/ARB-Intensity-LED-Driving-Lights-Spot-Beam-AR32S-P22767.aspx a bit pricey but no one will follow you at night LOL.

Interesting...we switched to LEDs last year where we previously had Halogens. We really liked the distance we got out of our halogens' date=' being able to see the planner boards 3 wide way out there (without flags). When we changed to the LEDs, we can't see 100 yards behind the boat. Needless to say we were disappointed. What kind of LEDs do you have that you are pleased with and how far back (approximately) can you see?[/quote']

http://www.coastalnightlights.com/

I can't see very far behind the boat, maybe 100'? But that's not what I want them for. They do an incredible job of lighting the cockpit.