Summer Browns?

We see them every spring and fall in the shallows and some are very good sized. At these times they seem fairly easy to target. The question is where are they in the summer? Has anyone targeted them in the summer anyone with good success or is it just a stumble upon one or 2?

Out of the 20 or so trips this summer to Pt. Sanilac we only caught one Brown. It was a really slow day so we decided to go deeper than normal. Ended up catching it in 130 ft. We ended up losing another fish right after, but never saw it. I would like to know if there is a secret as well.

I would like to know the answer to that too. I only target them in the early spring befor the Salmon kick it into gear. I didnt target them at all in 2012, Salmon started in March and never let up. This spring we will certainly try to target them.

We see them every spring and fall in the shallows and some are very good sized. At these times they seem fairly easy to target. The question is where are they in the summer? Has anyone targeted them in the summer anyone with good success or is it just a stumble upon one or 2?

On the west side of the lake we look for them where the thermocline(when it sets up) meets the bottom or around structure.

As stated find the thermalcline hitting the bottom 52 to 55 deg and bounce your lures off the bottom. Not cannon balls lures. There are a few spots off Muskegon I can pick them up in summer. Often nice fish 8 to 12 lbs always the same method of catching them dropping a Ace Hi plug on the bottom in a turn usually in 65 to 70ft where I make my turnaround north of Muskegon on a 300 copper. Always the inside rod. A few guys on here know where I am talking about. Flasher fly has also taken a few in the same area same method. Started out as a mistake on a turn has proven to catch fish.

I also responded to your post over on LOU.

The key to fishing browns in the summer is you find where the top of the thermocline meets the bottom (50-55 deg). That is the outer limit of the water you want to fish, fishing inside of that. For instance, if 55 deg is at 60 feet down, then the area you want to fish is 60 feet of water and shallower, concentrate on areas with some sort of bottom structure, even subtle bits of structure, will hold concentrations of browns. I've had great days on brown trout in mid summer, mid day, fishing in 35-50 feet of water.

It's almost entirely a spoon bite. I've caught incidental browns on flasher/flys, but leave them in the boat when I'm targeting browns. They are a bit spookier than kings, so a little longer leads on riggers (30-40'), 3-5 color lead cores on boards, divers on 3-3.5 setting, out 80-150 feet all work well. A bit slower troll as well, typically 1.8 - 2.2 at the ball. Generally within 15 feet of the bottom, but fish the marks. If there is bait and hooks in that nearshore zone, they are probably brownies.

some big Lake Ontario mid summer, shallow water browns over the past couple years:

17lb mid afternoon, 40-45 fow

IMG_0026.jpg

13.5 lb late morning 35 fow

100_4109.jpg

typical mid summer cookie cutter, same day as the 13.5 above

100_4108.jpg

14.5 lb, 3rd of a triple header of browns in 38 fow, mid afternoon.

P7040004.jpg

Tim

west side of Lake Michign around Racine can have good brown fishing in the summer. We have a ton of rocky structure, reefs, waste water discharge and the Oak Creek power plant within reach. These all offer a great place for browns to hang out and when the water cools down mid summer, we can have a ton of them around. This was the scenario two or three years ago when the 45lber was caught in July during Salmon-A-Rama as well as many many 15-20 pounders.

Thanks guys. We have a few spots that likely hold browns, one we call the humps that runs in the 50'-70' range, usually find a few walleye in there and usually holds plenty of bait as seen in pic below. They have planted plenty of browns the past several years in the area so there should be a few good ones out there.

Great looking browns ya got there!!

bait_zps699779b2.jpg

I also responded to your post over on LOU.

The key to fishing browns in the summer is you find where the top of the thermocline meets the bottom (50-55 deg). That is the outer limit of the water you want to fish, fishing inside of that. For instance, if 55 deg is at 60 feet down, then the area you want to fish is 60 feet of water and shallower, concentrate on areas with some sort of bottom structure, even subtle bits of structure, will hold concentrations of browns. I've had great days on brown trout in mid summer, mid day, fishing in 35-50 feet of water.

It's almost entirely a spoon bite. I've caught incidental browns on flasher/flys, but leave them in the boat when I'm targeting browns. They are a bit spookier than kings, so a little longer leads on riggers (30-40'), 3-5 color lead cores on boards, divers on 3-3.5 setting, out 80-150 feet all work well. A bit slower troll as well, typically 1.8 - 2.2 at the ball. Generally within 15 feet of the bottom, but fish the marks. If there is bait and hooks in that nearshore zone, they are probably brownies.

some big Lake Ontario mid summer, shallow water browns over the past couple years:

17lb mid afternoon, 40-45 fow

IMG_0026.jpg

13.5 lb late morning 35 fow

100_4109.jpg

typical mid summer cookie cutter, same day as the 13.5 above

100_4108.jpg

14.5 lb, 3rd of a triple header of browns in 38 fow, mid afternoon.

P7040004.jpg

Tim

Good advice I know the few times in the summer I got into the type of water your describing I did manage to catch a few extra browns. I never targeted them but I'm sure with the right approach more could be had where I fish in Ludington.

Great Lakes Brown trout didn't get their football bellies swimming to find cold water or food. So if you caught them in the Spring in shallow and there's bait in shallow you will find brown trout any time of year. The Browns are more active as mentioned when the water is in the low 50's.

Browns differ from some fisherman in that they never leave fish (food) to find fish. They just lay on the bottom waiting for any easy meal.

I find smaller spoons and J's take big Browns fished slow 1.8 to 2.2 MPH.

west side of Lake Michign around Racine can have good brown fishing in the summer. We have a ton of rocky structure, reefs, waste water discharge and the Oak Creek power plant within reach. These all offer a great place for browns to hang out and when the water cools down mid summer, we can have a ton of them around. This was the scenario two or three years ago when the 45lber was caught in July during Salmon-A-Rama as well as many many 15-20 pounders.

35lber?