Boat Recommendations

So we currently have a 20' aluminum deep-v boat with a 225 on it and a kicker. When we bought the boat our plan was to fish all over the place, and we did, but over time that has changed. Now we seem to pretty much just fish Lake Erie and Lake Michigan. We do some perching and some jigging but we do mostly trolling. We have slowly acquired a fair amount of trolling gear. Now getting that trolling gear on our boat along with the fisherman can be a lot of work, and sometimes not as enjoyable as it should be. Also 4 of us on the boat makes it crowded with all the gear. And fishing in a little rougher water isn't real desirable with the open bow and not much area to take cover, the same is true for colder weather.

So it is time to look for something that suits us better. What we are looking for is something that when they forecast 1-3 that we don't automatically say so much for this weekend. Here is a list of our requirements/wants

1. Able to be trailered, this is a big one

2. Outbound motor(s), another big one as we like to fish late and early

3. Able to fish at least 4 comfortably if not more

4.something not to large, probably under 25 maybe around 23?

5. Mid 20k price range, used obviously

6. Not a cc,I want a windshield

7. A hard top and enclosure, even if we have to add these

8. Be able to give me a smoother dryer ride than what we have now

With all this being said I'm new to the world of fiberglass boats. I'm looking for any recommendations as to what to look at, and what to stay away from. And what to look for, and where to look. I appreciate any and all information you might be able to give me.

Thanks in advance

I hear same frustration I had for years with similar boat. After too many lost days to it being just a bit too rough we made our change. Our criteria matched yours 100% other than we went new and stayed with aluminum. All of our needs have been met. We've fished a lot more and had bunches of fun. Good luck on your search, you'll wonder why you waited.

So we currently have a 20' aluminum deep-v boat with a 225 on it and a kicker. When we bought the boat our plan was to fish all over the place, and we did, but over time that has changed. Now we seem to pretty much just fish Lake Erie and Lake Michigan. We do some perching and some jigging but we do mostly trolling. We have slowly acquired a fair amount of trolling gear. Now getting that trolling gear on our boat along with the fisherman can be a lot of work, and sometimes not as enjoyable as it should be. Also 4 of us on the boat makes it crowded with all the gear. And fishing in a little rougher water isn't real desirable with the open bow and not much area to take cover, the same is true for colder weather.

So it is time to look for something that suits us better. What we are looking for is something that when they forecast 1-3 that we don't automatically say so much for this weekend. Here is a list of our requirements/wants

1. Able to be trailered, this is a big one

2. Outbound motor(s), another big one as we like to fish late and early

3. Able to fish at least 4 comfortably if not more

4.something not to large, probably under 25 maybe around 23?

5. Mid 20k price range, used obviously

6. Not a cc,I want a windshield

7. A hard top and enclosure, even if we have to add these

8. Be able to give me a smoother dryer ride than what we have now

With all this being said I'm new to the world of fiberglass boats. I'm looking for any recommendations as to what to look at, and what to stay away from. And what to look for, and where to look. I appreciate any and all information you might be able to give me.

Thanks in advance

Every time Frank posts a picture of his boats I think they are pretty nice. (Hewes Craft) Not sure if there are any used ones though to get into your price range. Mine is an open 18 footer and we freeze in the spring/fall/winter and bake in the summer. I understand your urge to upgrade.

Happy looking.

Paul C.

I have a 22' Sportcraft that is along the lines of what you are looking for except it has an I/O. I love it. Tows nice, fishes 4 large adults comfortably, rides nice in the water. A friend has a 20' Sea Swirl with an outboard that he is happy with, also. In your price range you should be able to find a really nice boat. Everyone has a brand preference but when I was looking I found out that the most important thing was how the boat is maintained. I would suggest start looking at sites like boat.com, iboats and others and see what's out there. And before you buy, get a survey done. It's more important with glass boats IMO. If you find something that interests you feel free to post it here, I'm sure guys will be willing to give you feedback and help you out. Good luck and have fun looking, it's the best part.

I hear same frustration I had for years with similar boat. After too many lost days to it being just a bit too rough we made our change. Our criteria matched yours 100% other than we went new and stayed with aluminum. All of our needs have been met. We've fished a lot more and had bunches of fun. Good luck on your search, you'll wonder why you waited.

same here kevin,my hewescraft is not the biggest boat out there but she fishes like she is.too bad there are not a few more used ones around.we really looked hard before we bought a new one.

we went from a starcraft fishmaster 196 to the 220 ocean pro with a hardtop and extended transom.there is no comparison in the 2,the hewewscraft is 10 times the boat.

If I was to take a look at hewescraft, of course I know I'd have to up my budget, what would that really gain me handling wise in rougher water?

andy,you are down by calumet.go talk to frank or derek at calumet marine and tell them you want to take a test ride in a ocean pro.you wont be dissapointed.its what finnaly sold me on the ocean pro.we left the dock and headed towards the mouth of the marina.as we got closer to the mouth i could see some decent size waves and we we up on plane.as we approched the waves i braced my self like we were in the starcraft,expecting a rough ride. i look over and frank still has the seat faced sideways talking to me,i think to my self he is going to end up on the floor.not so,the ride was not bad at all.

these boats perform great in bad weather conditions.we fished in 4 to 6 footers several times this fall.and never felt unsafe.

they are built like a tank too.

Jay,

What about trolling in solid 1-3's or even 2-4's? With our current boat you just get thrown around to really try to fish in those conditions. Also what about fishing with 4 adults and maybe even the occasional 5th?

andy,we can troll into 2 to 4s on the kicker and tr1 with no problems,not to bad a ride.4 people on the boat still leaves lots of room to fish.5 or 6 people would not be to crowded.if you get one get the trim tabs for sure.you will not be disapointed with a hewescraft.i have taken several friends out that have bigger glass boats and they cant believe they were in a alum boat. you can get one for about the same $ as a lund in a comparable size too and have 2 times the boat,as long as you dont need all the fancy plastic junk on the lunds,starcrafts,crestliners,ect.:thumb:

we fished in some nasty weather this fall and never felt like we should run for home like we did in the starcraft and we kept it 70 plus under the hard top,even when it was 35 deg out.

So what is the real difference between the open ocean, the sea runner, and the pro-v? Also what does the extended transom gain you, or lose? Also what about standard vs extended enclosure, don't you loose too much deck with the extended? And one last question what about rod and tackle storage, how much is there?

Sorry for all the questions just trying to learn a little more about the hewescraft. Thanks

The Hewescraft like the C-Dory are utilitarian boats, for what we do I would not get the extended cabin on either boat unless your getting a 25 or bigger. The extended transom gets you a better ride and give the engines more leverage on the hull. On some it also gives you a place for a cooler and to step out and net a fish. There is plenty of storage on them in AK these type boats are used to haul supplies hunt and fish they are not pleasure boats like most of what we see down here. Where my uncle lives there have only been roads for a few years and you still cannot drive to the mainland. So leaving the island is by float plane or boat. When Alaska changed much of the fishing laws he sold his 56ft trawler and bought the C-Dory. He still commercial fishes the C-Dory for Salmon and does very well as the law changes work better for a smaller boat for him.