Novice Needs Help!

JuicyBaron

Hey guys,

I know its still a few months away until being able to hit the lake again, but i'm getting antsy! Last year was my first year fishing the lake and I didn't do near as well as i had expected. I run 2 riggers off the back, 2 dipseys and 2 boards. I've got a 19ft sportcraft caprice that handles the waves just fine. I guess what i'm looking for is maybe a reputable charter that I can go on for a day to learn depths, color schemes, speed, etc to be able to apply to my future trips this coming summer. Heck, i'd even be willing to just go out on my boat if someone knowledgable would be interested in joining me and showing me the ropes! Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys!

I'd be glad to help by answering questions and/or going out with you. Can't say I'm an "expert" as far as Holland goes, but have launched there quite a bit in the last 3 years and done pretty well. Each port can have its little nuances, but overall salmon fishing is pretty similar at most ports with currents, temps, and structure when it is available affecting choices. You would be welcome to join me on my boat when I trailer over your way and a spot (happens pretty often) and/or go out on your boat.

There is a lot of water out there on Lake Michigan. While just going out and figuring it out on my own is quite satisfying... getting a little knowledge to know what lure(s) have been working, where, how deep... sure helps to shorten the daily learning curve. For Holland the Gold Coast Outfitters tackle shop near Port Sheldon is a good source of information along with reports on the web sites (GLF, GLA, Michigan Sportsman...). BUT developing a network of buddies that are out fishing is a great way to keep up on what's going on. I can always use another buddy to trade info with -- either the days or night before a trip or out on the water.

There are also a couple of fishing leagues that have friendly tournaments out of the Holland/Port Sheldon/Muskegon/South Haven area. I'd be all over that if I didn't live 2 hours from the lake. From what I have heard, the guys who fish these are pretty good guys and willing to share. There isn't enough money involved to be tight lipped about it... plus let's face it, us fishing guys like to brag (and exaggerate).

Holland also has a Steelheaders chapter. Join and go to some meetings. Great way to get to know some of your fellow fishing nuts in the area. http://www.hollandsteelheaders.org/

Thanks for the response Ryan! I'd love to join you when you launch in holland next. Or you're more than willing to join me, either/or works for me. I really don't even know where to start when it comes to fishing the big lake. Any info is better than none!

Austin, Captain Don Alofs of tangled mess charters is one of the first boats in at Holland and would be a great one to go on a teaching charter look up his web site or pm him he is a member on glf. If you want to go with me some time I would be glad to show you the ropes to. jimmy aka jimbobber

Thanks Jimmy! I'll be sure to look up the info! If you're ever looking for a rider, or a ride I'd love to join you or pick you up!

On a side note, thanks SO much for all of the help, guys. I never expected to receive so many replies to a novice cry for help! You guys are great!

Can't go wrong with Don on the Tangled Mess great friend and great fisherman. My personal opinion is get some guys to come fish on your boat. Your welcome to come up and fish on mine if you want however what works on my boat may not work on yours. Like it or not every boat fishes a bit different riggers don't read the same line counters vary. Strange as it seems 2.5 on my boat may be different than 2.5 on yours. So the key is learning how to catch fish on your boat with your gear. I got back into salmon fishing 8 years ago when my wife dragged me back here. A lot had changed since the 80's when I quit So I started with a open checkbook on a old boat spent a lot of money on stuff I seldom use because other guys were bragging about how great this or that lure was so I bought them. Wallet is much thinner now and I have over 700 spoons on my boat guess what I use around 20 of them on a avg season. I have close to 100 plugs and fish 6 or 7 of them. Not because there is anything wrong with the other stuff I have just zeroed in on what works best for me on my boat. What I suggest is you setup a couple of programs and fish them by changing your boat speed and patterns till you dial them in.

+1 for Don/Tangled Mess if you're headed out of Holland. Might want to hop on a few on a few of the other Holland boats from this website when they are looking for riders too. Eveyone does things a little different boat to boat but it will give you a starting point.

Lakeshore Outfitters is having their Salmon Spectacular on March 20, 5-9 pm at the Holland Fish and Game Club. Brian Butts and Dave Mull will be speaking. Aaron is going to give away a ton of quality stuff.

+1 on Don of Tangled Mess Charters. He's a great guy to fish with and has been doing it a long time!

Just like Mark said, everyone does things a little differently. The riding section is a great tool to meet new fishing buddies and learn a lot of new stuff on the water!