uncoated temp downrigger cable

Talked to aaron down in sagatuck he sells it and the antenna. He was telling me that they had major issue with it at first. The first run of it had a solid copper wire that was breaking inside the stainless cable. The new stuff is stranded and less problems. When i asked him if he thought it was worth it he said he didnt think so. to stay with the coated cable.

i have the new cable on two of my riggers from Depth Raider. I believe it is the same cable from Torpedo. It is a little more work to connect your klincher connection than the standard coated cable. I am still using my original Depth Raider antennas and everything is working fine. I only ran the new cable for the last couple months of the season last year and did not see a significant increase in performance...but no decrease either. Where I did see the new cable worth the its weight in gold was its durability. Things that make you cry with your coated cable are no worries at all! On a couple occasions I had two downriggers cables wrapped together and absolutely no problems at all. Just throw the Depth Raider back down and good as new! This is an example of extreme circumstances so it will definitely stand up to a few wild fish and tangle mishaps which should wash away any fears of the coated cable units.

I ran the Torpedo cable and antenna with no problems at first and could get much better temp readings deeper than with coated cable. Copper core didn't come apart but it was kind of hard to work with given its small diameter. For me several of the steel strands came apart and jammed up the down rigger. It was easy enough to clear the jam and the Torpedo people sent me a brand new cable. Don't know how well it works yet, because wind waves and work kept me off the lake for pretty much all of September.

I used the cable and antenna with my sub troll for a full year last year with no problems. It is alittle more difficult to attach to the clincher than the coated cable is but it is alot better than having the rubber peeling off which seems to happen at least once each year. I have a TR1 Gold auto pilot which wouldn't work with the standard antenna/coated cable but works with no issues with this antenna/cable.

• 1 year later...

Ok, so I just went to lake shore to get the torpedo speed and temp cable , becouse my coated finally went to h---, and the guy working there, not Aaron , did not tell me anything about haveing to have a new antana , is This a must for the torpedo speed and temp cable?

I went back to coated cable after the new cable they sent me, fell apart as well. Torpedo antenna works just fine with coated cable. I don't see why coated antenna wouldn't work with Torpedo cable. Though it may be a problem when running deeper later this season.

Ok, so I just went to lake shore to get the torpedo speed and temp cable , becouse my coated finally went to h---, and the guy working there, not Aaron , did not tell me anything about haveing to have a new antana , is This a must for the torpedo speed and temp cable?

I discussed this with Mathew Sawyre at Torpedo Diver a couple years ago when he brought out the antenna and cablr. The Torpedo antenna is not required for the Torpedo cable on the Depth Raider or Sub Troll.

I love all the other torpedo diver items I have bought with one exception; the probe wire. It would work then not work etc etc. The core copper, no matter how I protected it broke on almost every trip. I never got two full trips out of a splice. Plus, unless you are a really careful the outer sheath comes apart and is a real pain.

I think people saying it is a little harder to attach to the clincher are putting it a little mild. I found it to be a real pain to attach. I noticed no real difference in signal when it worked and no noticeable difference in blow back.

I personally wouldn't touch it...the extra cost versus coated cable vs pain in the A** factor didn't pan out for me.

Just wait till you are in the middle of the lake on a hot bite and cant get your down speed right or keep your baits in the right water because your cable crapped out. Or better yet craps out right out of the chute and you fish without a probe for the day and you are in deep monetarily on torpedo wire. My wife thought my head was gonna explode and I filled the swear jar to the brim in about 45 seconds flat. The third time that happened I was done.

I will give Matt credit he made it right when I wasn't happy.

Dave

I have been running the coated cable with the new antenna for 1 year now with no issues, its been down 100 plus and still works fine. I run it off of a small 12 v batt that is completely isolated from the boat.

In the above post, i should mention that the new antenna i was referring to was not from Depth Raider it was from Torpedo Fishing Products. After installing this, dashes on the display are a thing of the past .