Copper vs lead

We have been out of salmon fishing for quite some time. We are getting back in again. It used to be all down riggers and dipsy's. Now everyone is talking copper and lead. However, it seems more are talking copper than lead now. We have most everything purchased except for the rods reels and line. Leaning towards okuma convectors, but want input on rigging them. Lead? Copper? Type? Lengths? Fishing out of Grand Haven if that helps.

Thanks.

We have been out of salmon fishing for quite some time. We are getting back in again. It used to be all down riggers and dipsy's. Now everyone is talking copper and lead. However, it seems more are talking copper than lead now. We have most everything purchased except for the rods reels and line. Leaning towards okuma convectors, but want input on rigging them. Lead? Copper? Type? Lengths? Fishing out of Grand Haven if that helps.

Thanks.

Plenty of good things for both depending on the situation. You are pretty close to the Outdoorsmen Pro Shop in Jenison. You should swing up there with and have a talk with Nate. He is a very knowledgeable fisherman and can go over what/how much line he could get on each type of reel, advantages of each kind, as well as good pricing. You are probably wise to hang tight on purchases until the Grand Rapids Outdoor show, I know they have some very very good deals on combos rigged up and ready to go.

I second talking with Nate at the Outdoorsmen.

I have two of each of the following setup over the past two winters.

350' 45# Bloodrun super cooper (CV-55L)

300' 45# Bloodrun super cooper (CV-55L)

300' 32# Bloodrun super copper (CV-55L)

150' 32# Bloodrun super copper (CV-45L)

REEL - Okuma Convector CV-55L or CV-45L

all rods

ROD - Okuma Classic Pro GTL Copper Leadcore Trolling Rod (CP-CL-862M) 2-pc, 8' 6", medium action

my lead is now down to just 1 set of 5-colors, and 3 rods/reels with 2-3 colors on each just for the spring time.

found Copper to just be more fun and produced better than the lead.

this Saturday stop out at the swap meet

http://www.greatlakesfisherman.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29649&highlight=swap+meet

a few of us will be at that event and you can ask more questions in person.

Lead -3, 5 and 8 colors for 15, 25 and 40 feet

I always have 5 colors out.

Copper - 150, 225 and 300 for 30, 45 and 60 feet

I agree with the referral to Outdoorsmen - They are great.

Reel Therapy

I fish ALL copper (Blood run to be exact)

Everything from 100 too 350 right now. adding 400 and 450 this year.

I have 1 lead rod in the boat and that is a 5 color when the fish are in the top 25

Copper is more fun, better fight with less line to bring in.

I will be at the swap meet if you want to chat about it.

Suprised no one said talk to Aaron at Lakeshore in Suagatuck. Of course if you want to talk now you'll have to go elsewhere as they close for the winter. But in the spring I wouldn't shop anywhere else.

Maybe it's me, but when I go to the outdoorsman I just get ignored.

When I walk in to see Aaron he knows me, my wife, my kid....

I work in GR, live in Zeeland and I'd drive passed other shops to get to Saugatuck to spend my money where it is appreciated.

Just my opinion...others enjoy other shops too.

I too would get advice (from where ever) now and wait until the shows or the spring deals to get the gear you decide on.

We have 1, 2, 3, 5, and full core....100, 200 and 3000 copper.

Most of the core is used in the spring, the copper comes out the rest of the year with maybe a high line for steelhead if we are having a rough day.

Hello Dan

Riggers, dipsy's, and cooper. Most of our fish last year came on cooper rigs, we run Okuma Convector reels CV45 & CV55 on Shimano Talora rods. 2 each 75,150,225,300, & 450 cooper 45#. Grand Rapids show has some good prices, some Grand Haven charter captains will be there - Thunderduck, Sea Flea, Reel Action will give you some help also.

We run both leadcore and copper. Just starting with long lines, I think you will get more use out of copper. 150, 200, 250, and 300 are pretty common lengths. Can't go wrong with Blood Run in the way of backer, copper and flouro. Depending on how many and what lengths you decide on you might want to price out a full spool. Okuma CVs are about the best reel for the $. They have decent entry level rods in their classic line as well.

Check out the shows and shop around for sure before buying.

Aaron will be open March 1st. Lakeshore will have the Salmon Spectacular on March 27th and will be raffling off 10 rod/reel combos in addition to riggers and various baits. They will also have a bag that you can fill up in the shop at 15-20% off if memory serves me.

Take a look on this site or ask someone to show you how to mend copper and tie appropriate knots. Might not even be a bad idea to book a charter with one of those captains mentioned above to get a feel for things.

Pretty much all copper for me now here is one tip I am going to change to remove the level winds or buy reels without them. Even though line counter reel use the level wind for the counter you can remove the level wind and save a lot of grief 80% of our copper problems last 2 years come from same thing Copper line or a swivel sticking in the level wind and bird nesting the reel. Now you will hear guys saying how they have no problem and I am one of them but as for people I fish with not always the case. One minor mistake and your down a rod till you can de tangle it. But remove the level wind and once the copper is in the guides you can let it rip rather than slowly feeding it out by hand till you get enough out for it to pull against a clicker or light drag. Some setups have less problems than others but they all can have issues.

Don't marry any one presentation.................this crap changes every single day, and what the fish want changes more often than that.

Well said yesterday cure is tomorrows failure when it comes to getting too tied to any one type of presentation. I still run full cores and coppers side by side, 450 copper 300 copper and 10 colors all produce . Just be careful on turns with that much length out behind the boat.. I find a lot of strikes come on the inside of the turns. Followers get excited when the bait slows a little and drops down, they just can't resist it. Some times the opposite is true only the outside rods see action. It all depends on the mood the fish are in. Try all of the stuff at your discretion then stick with what is working that day. Extremely important to keep track of sun and wind information, it can change everything.

i run both

I use 2, 3, 5, 7, and i do keep a 10 color. Sometimes they want the 10 color and not the 150 copper. Last year my 7 color was one of my best lines in the water. I do agree with nick each has their day. The 2,3,5 colors are more for spring, when the fish are in shallow, or if we find a nice scum line with steelies at the surface.

for copper i run all 45lb opti copper.

2 150s

2 225s

2 300s

1 450

Thanks for all of the info! As I have done more research, allow me to ask about stainless. When looking at blood run's website I saw it there. Any opinions or thoughts?

Dan feel free to give a call at 616-439-0438. A few of the Pro Staff guys are hanging around the office the next week or two and would be happy to walk you through some scenarios to get you heading the right direction.