skin on or off

BILLY JOE

I remove the skin most of time also. Some of the smaller fish that will be smoked or grilled fresh I'll leave the skin on. When these smaller fish hit the plate I remove the skin and scrape off any dark stuff.

Smaller Coho marinated in Italian dressing and grilled skin side down is a favorite.

Skin off 85%, on 15% roughly. Esp. steaks and fish boils, want skin on to protect the filet. I liked the video, but it's the first time I've seen a serrated knife used, I use mine for steak cutting, or deheading/gutting/gilling the whole fish. I particularly liked the idea of Joel, wrap with bacon, he must be a pork fat lover like me too...lol. Lastly, Mark, on those big or even little filets where you say you lose tail meat when skinning, cut back off a 1 to 2" piece off that tail for a nugget appetizer, then cut your hole, that way you won't lose that piece that is the best tasting of the entire fish to me. Only takes a second more to savor that meat.

I liked the video, but it's the first time I've seen a serrated knife used, I use mine for steak cutting, or deheading/gutting/gilling the whole fish.

Lastly, Mark, on those big or even little filets where you say you lose tail meat when skinning, cut back off a 1 to 2" piece off that tail for a nugget appetizer, then cut your hole, that way you won't lose that piece that is the best tasting of the entire fish to me. Only takes a second more to savor that meat.

that was just the first video i found. I use a straight edge knife for skinning its a 9 in buck.

I also have seen what you are saying in the second part. what my one buddy dies is starts at the last bone in the fillet cuts down to the skin then towards the tail. Now that whole piece is boneless. then cuts the hole and takes off the other piece from the skin. he then takes that piece and cuts on each side of the bones about the thickness of a piece of bacon and the whole fillet is boneless.