Great Lakes water levels article

IRon

Many thanks Ron for posting this informational link. It's the (IJC) Intnl. Joint Comm., and (USCOE) Corps.of Engineers that have been doing nothing for all too long already, that has brought us to this emergency situation on lake levels now. So, when do they plan to "do something"? Like the sills? Filling in spots that need 25' depths, and now have 70' depths? Still nothing? The link of restoring our water is a start to email and join efforts by the public, as it is clear now, that without public cries for a plan, nothing will be done to reverse what these people can and have previously controlled in everyone's best interests.

I was by Port Sheldon 2 weeks ago and was shocked by what I saw. Areas that I duck hunted 2 months ago were dry sand. There is mud flats on all the shore, some places 25 to 30 feet out form previous low's. There is no way I could launch my 22' cuddy there right now. I figure this means another 50 to 100 boats launching from Holland on weekends this year.

Are you guys going to wake up against the war on government waste? They aren't cutting waste. They're cutting things we care about. This project is a prime example. The article said the project lost funding... So you blame the army corp of engineers and say how inefficient they are... REALLY?

I wish you guys could have seen woodtv this morning with the republican state representative from holland talking about Synders $1 billion a year road project. Instead of asking everyone to pay the $120 a year. He talked about cutting some outdoor programs. He named some stuff that brings money into our state. I bet they will eventually find some money in the salmon stocking program. They're going to clearly spend a lot less money this year because they're not planting as much fish. That probably means in the future they will require a lot less money! Look we made them more efficient!!!! Where do you think this waste comes from that they find?

We used to have a state police station with a dozen or so cars. Now we have 1 car parked a few miles north of town and 1 car parked a few miles south of town.

We all know the DNR has been hit pretty hard with budget cuts.

We all know the schools have been hit hard too. While I would like to fire a good amount of teachers. I would replace them with ones that do a good job. I am sure that wouldn't save any money.

Welfare? I had to deal with the department of human services to get a background check. I sent multiple faxes and multiple letters. No response. Even though it was required by law for them to respond. I show up in person and wait in line for an hour. I explained that they failed me and she talked about budget cuts and talked about how much people they used to have and what they have now. She took another 30 minutes but got me the letter I needed to go to camp. It was a giant hassle & would have costed a person with a 9-5 to take off work to go get this done. At what point are we really saving money?

You got deadbeats taking money from the state. I know some of them personally. One is mentally retarded. Can't blame him for being that way. The others have kids. I am not willing to let some kids starve in this country because their parents don't' know how to hold a job. If anything I'd love to spend more money in this sector and work more with the kids. So they know that ANYONE can go to college and they can literally do anything they want to do in this country. That's the way it works all you have to do is work hard. They don't know this. They think you got to be rich because that's what their lazy parents told them. Instead they follow their parents pathway get pregnant and we repeat the cycle. We need to fix this & it would save a ton of money in the long run. It would cost money in the short term.

I got a friend who lost his job went on the bridge card for few weeks. He called them to say he got a job and to end the benefits. He left his point of contact multiple voice messages. It took him a couple months to end the benefits. Now, he did not spend any money during this time. He could have & would have never gotten caught. I know someone who deals with these case workers. They are required by law to visit people and make sure its on the up and up. There isn't enough hours in the day to visit 1/10th of the people they are in charge of. How are you going to cut without harming the kids?

SO!!!! I will grumble piss & moan. But I would rather pay the state the $120 per vehicle than find government "waste". The alignments, hubs,bearings,tie rods, and rims that I blame on the roads that I have replaced in the past few year has been a hell of a lot more than $120 a year per vehicle.