Great Lakes Angler Super Salmon School

Dave Mull

Guys, sorry I haven't posted a blog lately, and promise I'll get back on it. Just a few updates. First, I have seen the new Great Lakes Angler Magazine, the first published by Frank Amato Publications, and I think the complaints of all the guys who saw it getting thinner and getting a higher percentage of ads will see that the new company is taking it in the right direction. It's full of content and at 64 pages, bigger than any magazine the company published in the last couple of years. The ad guy Dave Eng says the next issue, April/May, is on course to be an 80-pager, and I honestly can't remember the last issue that was that big. I'm not on staff anymore, but contributing a feature and a new product column in each issue.

Second, about Dan Keating's and my Super Salmon School, in part sponsored by Great Lakes Angler Magazine. Here's the schedule:

Feb. 9, Winthrop Harbor, Illinois, Lake Michigan Angler Tackle Shop. (includes lunch)

Feb. 23, Port Washington/Saukville, Wisconsin, The Railroad Station (bar and restaurant--admission price includes lunch)

March 3, Birch Run, Michigan, in conjunction with the Flint Steelheaders Boat, Fishing and Outdoor Show (free admission to show)

March 9, Holland, MIchigan, in conjunction with the Holland Steelheaders. I'll get the address, but it's at the same church where we had it last year.

Cost is $60. In addition to an extra hour of instruction (five total), the first 100 anglers to sign up for each school get a fine tackle bag. We also have lots of door prizes. Call Capt. Dan Keating to reserve your spot: 847-395-5730.

Dave

Hey Dave, thanks for the update on the new and improved GLA mag. You mentioned the latest issue was 64 pages and the next will be 80 pages. I was 1 year into a 3 year subscription with them, but haven't received one in almost a year. Are the old subscribers kaput with the GLA mag reorganization, or can we expect to start receiving them again?

Also, I see you are on the docket for the Ultimate Sport Show in GR this March. I'm looking forward to having two of my adult sons there to hear your story about ending up in the drink. You're going to make a difference in a lot of people's lives with that one.:thumb:

Thanks

Hey Dave, thanks for the update on the new and improved GLA mag. You mentioned the latest issue was 64 pages and the next will be 80 pages. I was 1 year into a 3 year subscription with them, but haven't received one in almost a year. Are the old subscribers kaput with the GLA mag reorganization, or can we expect to start receiving them again?

Also, I see you are on the docket for the Ultimate Sport Show in GR this March. I'm looking forward to having two of my adult sons there to hear your story about ending up in the drink. You're going to make a difference in a lot of people's lives with that one.:thumb:

Thanks

Well thanks for noticing! Where did you see that? I don't remember establishing I was going to talk about the big sink, but if that's what they say I'm going to talk about, then I sure will!

Hey Dave, thanks for the update on the new and improved GLA mag. You mentioned the latest issue was 64 pages and the next will be 80 pages. I was 1 year into a 3 year subscription with them, but haven't received one in almost a year. Are the old subscribers kaput with the GLA mag reorganization, or can we expect to start receiving them again????

I'm in the same boat. Sure would be nice to get what I paid for...

Thanks

I sent an email to the new publisher with my name/address and asked them if I was still a subscriber. Was assured I'm good through June and the new addition should be mailed out soon. They had a really quick response too! (Probably 'cause I told them I knew Dave!).

Paul C.

Yeah, sorry I forgot to answer that part of your question. Frank Amato Publications has transferred all of the current subscriptions over, so everyone who had a subscription ought to get what they paid for. And if there is any problem, you can call them at 800-541-9498. Just keep in mind they're on the West Coast, so if you call before about noon or 1 p.m. you're likely to get a recording if you're in the Eastern Time Zone. They do seem very committed to customer service (whether or not you know me!) and have been a real pleasure to work with.

hey dave

i use to get the magazine many yrs ago. but stopped doing much reading. now i do all my fishing on the central basin of lake erie. and even tho i do know enough to fish there and catch a few fish, i still have so much to learn about fishing on erie.

do you know if they plan to do many articals on fishing on erie?? i would love to have a good magazine that could help me with my fishing on erie. but i dont want to subscribe and then just read about salmon fishing. not that there is anything wrong with salmon fishing,LOL. but just that i dont salmon fish any more. im sure there is alot of new things i could learn about salmon fishing, as i wasnt a great fisherman to start with. but we did enjoy the salmon fishing back in the day and really enjoyed reading the magazine.

i havent even fished the western basin in probably 15 yrs or more. so im sure i could learn alot about new ways to catch fish there. and im always learning new stuff about the central basin. but if the magazine is going to have part of it devoted to fishing erie i will be subscribing to the new magazine. and i always love to read about new and old faithful equitment for fishing.

just like last july when we went up to the central basin. finding out where others were getting fish and how deep or how far back they were fishing really made a difference in the fish we caught. we had one of our best trips untill my old boat broke down on us. so the gla magazine could really be a life saver for guys like me who doesnt get up there alot.

sherman

Well thanks for noticing! Where did you see that? I don't remember establishing I was going to talk about the big sink, but if that's what they say I'm going to talk about, then I sure will!

Sorry about the late reply, been out of commission with the flu. I got the info from the Ultimate Sport Show link for this year's show. http://www.showspan.com/USG/Seminars.aspx

Dave and Dan do a great job! My thanks to Frank and crew at Lake Michigan angler too. Good people. Lots of interesting new tactics and great info on how to understand the lake and how that effects where the fish will be. The goodie bag, lunch and raffle prize won (everyone won something) was worth more than the cost of the seminar. I also now know how to properly use a blue Coleman cooler to save my life if needed. Priceless.

Thanks Dave.

• 2 weeks later...

Bill:

I was just glancing through this thread and realized I didn't answer your question about the mag. You should have received your issue by now--they were planning to honor all previous subscriptions. If you haven't you can check with Lorraine at the Frank Amato Publications office in Oregon, 800-541-9498.

See you in Grand Rapids. Just saw my speaking times are 10:30 in the morning Saturday and Sunday. Not sure if I'll draw a big crowd especially on Sunday!

Dave

Thanks

I did not have to do a single thing and I received my first issue of GLA this week! I was pleasantly surprised with the content. Mr. Keatings contribution is really good!

I will be in Holland with a buddy on March 9.

Thanks Pulp, I have to agree that the new owners and editor did a great job.

Dave

Hi Dave, I was at the Holland seminar and really enjoyed it. There was a lot of very good information and I hope I can retain some of it. I think that you could go to that seminar every year and learn more.

I can't wait to go out and apply what I learned.