Dipsey and copper question

I've run a hi and low dipsey before but have always been scared of the hi diver getting into my copper on a board. Let say I have a low diver 124mm walker on wire set at 1 and out 225 or so. I then have a hi diver on a 107mm walker set at 3 on braid and out 150 or so.

If I want to run 300' of copper on the inside planer on that side, do I need to worry about them getting together?

Thanks

With the scenario you just put up I wouldn't worry. Keep your 300 to the side as much as possible. You start running 200 and up out on the hi then you need to be a little more careful. Especially if a dipsey trips and you don't notice and it floats up into the copper

Edited by fishsniffer
spelling

I would recommend getting the Tx44 Church boards to pull your 300 and get you out away from the diver farther. I did that this year and I don't think we had a single tangle between the copper and the dipsies.

:thumb:

I ran dipseys out 200 feet last year with a 250 copper on a TX44 board outside of that that and never got the two together.

The farther out you can run the copper(away from the boat) plus keeping your dipsey around 200 feet (keeping it closer to the boat) will keep a pretty god gap between the two.

To be safe when reeling in your dipsey you can reel about 50 feet or so without tripping the dipsey or just pop it right away but reel like a mad man for 10 seconds to pull the dipsey in closer to the boat before it comes up in the water column. I think the biggest worry would be having the dipsey really far out, and your copper on the board in close to the boat, and then popping the dipsey and having it come up UNDER your copper.

Also dont pop that dipsey unless your driving straight for about 30 seconds so everything is tracking properly.

Last year I ran wire mag dipsy at 1-1.5 (out 150-220) with 400 copper and 300 copper on walleye boards on one side; same thing on the other side with 350 and 250 coppers....only time we had trouble was when we tried to add a high diver on 3 (120-160) into the mix (Not Good)....so we stopped running a high diver.

I could definitely see the benefit of the TX44 (based on what I've heard on GLF), regardless of running 2 divers per side w/ a deep copper or not....the walleye boards are truly limited with those deep coppers! All it took a couple of times was a really good fish on the wire diver or rigger and they could even find the inside copper and make a mess. So, I tend to run my boards waaaaaaay out to the delight of those who get to real them in! :grin:

I think we will pick up a couple of the TX44's and just manage the use of 4 divers and 4 coppers a little better. Thought would be to not run the deep coppers when we run high divers (early morning/late evening); but when we pull the high divers and deploy the deep coppers, the TX44's should aid in the potential for tangles. Short coppers or cores on the outside w/ walleye boards.

Does that make sense?

The last charter we ran last year, we had 400, 450 and 500 coppers out each side of the boat on TX44's, and wire divers out 300 on the low and 400 on the highs. If a fish hits the high, just grab it and move over to the other side of your boat and fight the fish towards that direction. We crank our drags however so there is no way the fish isn't going the direction we want it to. If you are a loose drag guy, you will lose that fish up into your copper for sure.