copper

Fill the reel up. Sounds easy. Can suck to guess at though. Sometimes you end up having to put a super line under the copper to save some space. I usually put 150 yds of 30 pound blood run braid then I put mono then copper. The mono provides stretch and a better option for attaching your boards. You're bigger coppers will end up with less backer but they are usually closer to the boat. You don't need 500 yds of backer. You should ba able to slow and control a fish with a reasonable amount of backer

Use the Reel Fill Calculator to figure out what you can put on the reel!

http://www.greatlakesfisherman.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16491&highlight=calculator

You will need to know the capacity figures for your reel and the diameter of the line(s) you are going to put on the reel. Plug in the numbers and you will be real close.

At a minimum I would try to get 100 yards of braid for backing and more if the reel will take it. Remember that once you get the copper in the water you will then have backing going from the rod to the board. That's your starting place for where the fish will start taking line. A good spunky King can get out another 200'+ pretty easy. Better to have too much backing than not enough!

I run 150 yards of Power Pro 40, 40 yards of 20# mono and 300' of 45#copper on convector cv55's and have never been spooled. The Nono helps to hook up boards and provides a little stretch as previously noted. Matt's idea of winding on in reverse and then rewinding would work but like I said lmao its a lot of winding for an old guy like me. I use the reel fill calculator and have never over filled a reel and lets face it get reels big enough to handle the load. The CV55 is a great reel for copper, good drag and a loud clicker help detect hits.

Re-respooling on tournament day in the middle of fishing, Its kind of hard to calculate then. Take it off with a power drill, back fishing in minutes

I have one of thos berkley line counters that clamp to the rod and have a sheet printed from the calculator on my different reels so if i do loose something i look at my sheet clamp on the counter and fill to capacity properly every time. Line counter is 13 bucks at bass pro and well worth it for making up rigs. 45 lb copper and lead core work through it also. Dont get the rapala or shakespear as copper wont work through those.

Forget that reverse rewinding your wasting time that you could be fishing.

I never use those line counters. They are terrible. I have a 300' measuring tape and go in the street to measure my coppers exactly. I have measured the actual lengths of the spools of coppers (i.e. 300') multiple times and they are never correct. They spools those on by weight not by actual footage. As far as the backing goes, I put as much super braid I can and then 10' of 50# mono of 100# thick braid to attach the board too, and then the copper. I may mess up the first spool and have to remove some backing, but after that I have it down pact. The reel fill guide is an excellent tool. When your copper and DRY braid go on, the spool will be REALLY REALLY FULL. Don't worry unless you can't reel at all. After the spool is full, start out in the beginning of the season and let the entire line out in 100 FOW and reel it in. The WET braid will shrink everything down and run smoothly.

I have one of thos berkley line counters that clamp to the rod and have a sheet printed from the calculator on my different reels so if i do loose something i look at my sheet clamp on the counter and fill to capacity properly every time. Line counter is 13 bucks at bass pro and well worth it for making up rigs. 45 lb copper and lead core work through it also. Dont get the rapala or shakespear as copper wont work through those.

Forget that reverse rewinding your wasting time that you could be fishing.

Those counters work great, we use them all the time to calculate backer fill and when we lose some copper on the boat and need to figure out how much we have left and how much to add via repair.