what copper setups

The most common copper setup is the 300 copper. It fishes in that 45-60ft range depending on speed. It also is the same length as a 10 color, but much better for fighting fish. We also like short coppers, say a 150. Personally, i believe the more copper on the boat, the more fish your going to finish with at the end of that day. The stuff is fantastic for mid day when fishing really slows down.Bloodrun sells spools in bulk for a very good price, that allows you to tie up multiple set ups from one spool.

If I had to pick 2 of my three it would be the 300' and 250'. I don't run any longer than that and those two are really productive. As far as wire rods, where are you located? I have a couple of 8' Okuma Blue Diamond rods that I'm looking to sell so I can upgrade to some Taloras.

I will be the first to admit I LOVE my copper!

I run

100 32 pound

200 32 pound

250 32 pound

300 32 pound

350 32 pound

300 45 pound

400 45 pound

All blood run copper with floro leaders.

If I had to choose I would run all copper over the divers ANYDAY! (Not laker fishing)

Just my .02

for my two I could not go without, 300 45 and 300 32 pound.

Copper will be a great addition to your boat because it simply catches fish! I have Blood Run copper setups ranging from 200' to 450' on the boat and on Lake Ontario last year, my 300' coppers were my best producers.

I will admit that I am fairly new to the copper deal. But it accounted for about half of my fish landed last year. I ran a 150 45lb bloodrun and a 300 45 blood run. I only had 1 of each I now have 2 of each for next year. It has helped me out when things get slow those 2 rods were still producing. Bottom line for me is it worked great and i learned everything from the good folks in this forum as they helped me out and will help you as well. Goodluck and tightlines.

Grizzly

Blood Run Coppers at 50 foot increments from 50-450. I fish mostly during the day time and coppers are definitely a huge factor in successful trips day after day.

If I'm targeting the top 50 feet - 50s, 100s, 150s and probably 200s.

below 50 feet - 200s, 250s, 300+

I had really good success with my 200s and 250s last season. I think they hit a sometimes uncharted water column. Many people fish up to 10 colors of leadcore and then transition right to a 300 coppers. A 10 color leadcore is realistically going to hit around 40ish feet and your 300 copper will be around the 60ish feet (give or take). this leaves a 20 foot gap of happy undisturbed fish. Yes they will travel through out the water column but your better off putting your bait in front of their face. especially when they are off their main feed times.

One other thing I do a lot is hit the brakes and let them drop then resume speed. I have had people wonder why I have the bags out when trolling at 3mph and that is the reason because if I am at 3.0 and I tap the brakes and get Salmon I might slow down but if I start picking up Steelhead I may pull the bags. My biggest Steelhead came on a 300 copper with a Ace Hi Yellow Tail running over 4mph GPS it was over 17 lbs. I had the 300 down in case there were some kings around. Not real sure how deep a 300 runs at that speed with a plug but that big Steelhead fought like a king until he hit the surface then it was nuts for a bit.

To add to the original question we caught alot of fish on 300, 250 and 200 lengths of 45 lb copper last year. Id got 300 and 200 if buying 2 of them.

I have had the "stall technique" work me for with long lines as well.

Just put it in neutral for a couple seconds. All your leadlines are now sinking and then rising as you resume your normal speed. You just covered a little different water level and put out a little erratic action on the baits for a bit which might produce a strike.

• 2 weeks later...