Laker help please

Hi fellas,

Looking for some help on targeting lake trout. My crew and I have had trouble picking up Lakers all season only boating one I believe. My first guess is that we are going to fast I understand that but what are some quality presentations we can use to finally start to get ahold of this species. Thanks

Jim Bobber posted this pic a while back. 0628122104a_509116.jpg

I have used similar Tin Can doggers and spin-n-glows. going after lakers as well.

I only have three setups for lakers, a white, chrome, and a copper plated dogger. then for my spin-n-glows I have green - white, green-black, and orange-green.

Good luck

Jim Bobber posted this pic a while back. 0628122104a_509116.jpg

I have used similar Tin Can doggers and spin-n-glows. going after lakers as well.

I only have three setups for lakers, a white, chrome, and a copper plated dogger. then for my spin-n-glows I have green - white, green-black, and orange-green.

Good luck

Jon got it dodger and peanut right on the bottom and slow down to about 2mph or slower. I do take lakers hi in thel water column in spring and early summer at King speeds. It really depends on the mood they are in but to consistantly catch Lakers the presentation Jon showed is killer. Meat Rigs also work really well for big Trout.

'Spin n glows and peanuts are both creations of west coast company called Yakima Bait, they have been around for a long time and can be found at any good big water tackle store, rigged or ready to rig.

You could always charter a trip with Don on Tangled Mess and really learn the skill...he is very good at targeting lakers. I was doing it almost right and then I went out with Don and really figured it out. Still can't do it anywhere near as good but at least I'm better than I once was.

One hint - must be ON the bottom with your gear. It's not cheap to do laker fishing right. You loose a lot of gear bouncing bottom.

Bounce/skip a rigger on the bottom and slow down in speed. You won't have any issues picking them up. My first year targeting salmon I went too slow and I'd caught nothing but lakers.

I don't know if you've seen 333tv. From time to time groups target them. I believe that in one of the Saint Joseph tournaments(maybe New Buffalo/Michigan City) a group did it. Occasionally, in other episodes too. Somewhere they will show you in greater detail how to skip the bottom and what it looks like. You could put a rigger on the bottom and skip and most people think its just hitting bottom and won't notice the fish. I am guilty when I was new of reeling in the lines to go in or switching up spoons and ending up with a nice laker surprise once I popped the release. I know they show you this in one of the episodes. I rewatched them last week. You can also skip over the commercials pretty easily too when watching on vimeo.

http://www.tournamenttrail.net/salmon-showdown/watch/

Jon got it dodger and peanut right on the bottom and slow down to about 2mph or slower. I do take lakers hi in thel water column in spring and early summer at King speeds. It really depends on the mood they are in but to consistantly catch Lakers the presentation Jon showed is killer. Meat Rigs also work really well for big Trout.

'Spin n glows and peanuts are both creations of west coast company called Yakima Bait, they have been around for a long time and can be found at any good big water tackle store, rigged or ready to rig.

I can't take credit for this one, it's all Jimmy I just recalled is post from before.

last year was the first time I tried type of setup, I see one thing I'm missing is the fly skirt in front of the spin-n-glow, going to have to try that as well,

I've not been a very active Laker fisherman in the past, as I really don't try to target them, but it is always good to try something different.

Peanuts work well, also cowbells. In Ludington we target them in front of the (PSP), Pumped Storage Project, aka "the projects", 60'-90' fow on bottom. Slow boat all the way, use sea bag too if necessary, best speeds historically, 1.2-1.6 mph on top. Watch thermatroll and keep top speed consistent with bottom speed as close as possible. Speed is critical, along with bait fish marked. I typically use longer leads of 8'-12' behind the ball.

I have not tried to catch a laker in many years in fact my spread is usually to avoid them. I find them easy to catch and boring to reel in and not very tasty on the plate. That said another good way to target them is Wireline with 1pound balls I take a1 pound ball add a 12 in leader to it and clip it to the swivel on my wire rod then run nearly any bait you choose on a 6 to 10 ft lead behind it. My personal fav from years back was a large Loco Spoon in crushed white and chrome back in the 70's that setup took some monster lakers for me fished slow. By slow I mean absolute slowest a 16ft Starcraft will go with a 9.9 Mercury outboard. Stick a trash can and spin and glo or peanut on one side with the 1 pound ball bouncing and a clean lure behind a 1 pound ball on the other. Back then we used sinker releases so when the fish hit you lost the sinker.

• 4 weeks later...

All good information. We just started fishing them last year for tournaments and i tell ya it aint easy. First off you have to find them. If ya have room run one rigger right on the bottom all the time. We used the dodger spin and glow and fly setup, both worked. If ya watch the video you can barely see the rod move when a fish hits. You have pay close attention if you don't want to be dragging one around all day. Good luck!