wire line

rainman67

I use my wires for mag divers deep with paddles and flies or meat. A nice reel for wire is a Shimano Tekota 600lc with a drag upgrade from Tuna Tom, although mine lasted a couple seasons right out of the box.

A good drag is the key for me.

Use snubbers.

I bought a cheaper set of Okuma Blue Diamond roller rods because I didn't know if I was going to use them much. 8'6" I think. Turns out that I use them a lot more than I thought I would and the rods have held up OK. There's just nothing like watching a wire rod get slammed, hang on!

I think rods are more "personal preference", but some are probably better than others.

Have Fun!

Dave

The Torpedo 7 strand is also good and better priced than other brands. I have one rod with the 19 strand and it is good but each wire is much finer and does not seem to be as durable to me. It is easier to tie to terminal tackle though.

I too use a pair of Shimano Tekota 600LC reels for my wire divers but started with Daiwa SG47LCA reels and honestly for the cost difference, I think I would have stayed with the SG reels. Both hold 1,000' of 30# wire perfectly with no backing. Both reels have the same retrieve ratio. I went to the Tekota after hearing how great they were when they came out but I'm not all that impressed after 5 years.

I would also recommend a quality roller rod. You can use regular guide rods with a Twillie Tip but a roller makes it a lot more pleasant to fight a fish with. I use Shimano Talora 9' roller rods and they are great. I had Okuma Blue Diamond rollers but they were/are much heavier in weight. I then went to 7' Talora rollers but found that they were too close to my outdown riggers for comfort -- wire on wire isn't a good idea :eek:

As for brand of wire... check out Blood Run Tackles 7 stand ss wire you wont be disapointed.

You need a quality line counter reel that will hold 1000' of wire. Currently im running Okuma Convector 30s for my wire reels but they are going to see an upgrade this year to Okuma Catalinas 30s.

As for rods... Im running Okuma classic pro glt diver rods w/ twilli tips. Twilli tips are not a must but long term youll be glad you have them.

I run 4 wire divers most all times out. I use the Blood run wire. I started with the 19 Torpedo, but had to many failures.

Rods and reels will depend on the budget, and the amount you fish.

The best are the Tekota 600 lc reels, and Talora roller rods from Shimano.

The Okuma Blue Diamond rods, and Convector 30d lc is a nice setup, with a much lower cost.

What ever you do, put the full roll of 1,000' of wire on the the reel.

Welcome to the site Ray.

What port do you fish out of?

I have tried almost every wire setup there is and like my current ones the best. Shimano Tekota 600 lc reels and Shimano Talora 7' roller rods. I also didn't mind the Daiwa Sealines after I upgraded to the power handles. Twilli Tips are alright but I liked the Torpedo Tips better. I run the 19 strand Torpedo wire and haven't had any issues but I didn't with the 7 strand either.

Wire divers are by far our go to rods. We run 4 of them 99.9% of the time.

There's nothing better than watching the wire get hammered time after time. Bloodrun makes a 7 strand wire that is just unbeatable. We went with the 9 and 10ft rods to get them away from the boat,and have proper tip separation. we matched those with Tekota 700lcs because of the upgrade in the drag system over the 600lcs. The 600lcs dont provide enough drag when pulling mag divers back over 200 feet with paddles. They also tend to slip a lot when fighting fish.