Single hooks for spoons

I have used both single and treble hooks and the key is making sure thier sharp regardless which you use and I stick with treble hooks and as Dave Engel from Best Chance Charters says 3 hooks will catch more fish than 1 !

we tried the single hook fad in the early 80s on my dads baot. Didnt really notice and real difference in hook ups and lost fish. Buy owner trebles instead. I think the ones i get are called stingers - 36. I get them from outdoorsman in jenison bu the 50 ct bag. You wont be sorry. Then you'll see a hook up difference.

The steelies (and kings), if not hooked up solid on a treble can use the other hooks on the treble itself as a lever to release the one that is lodged in their mouths. I agree that 3 hooks will most of the time catch more fish than one, but when it comes to feisty steelhead and big kings I would rather not give them a fulcrum to work their way off. Just my opinion.

Has anyone ever tried a Kahl hook? Looks like a semi circle hook. To me it looks like once the fish is hooked up It would have a hard time spitting it out. I'm not sure if they make them with a big enough ring to swing freely on the split ring though.

Thanks for the replys, No way can i figure out how a steelhead could smack a treble and still get off. I'll have to look for some premium sharp hooks.

One of the last steelies I boated had fought so hard it had a loose piece of bone that it had broken and had come close to ripping itself off. I think sometimes they just rip the hook loose and its not a hook itself issue. Depends on where it gets hooked. Another vote for Owners here also.

Owners are the answer they don't let go The problem with Steelhead is slack in the line they will charge the boat wrap the line around themselves and often shake the hook out. We had one a couple years ago that went nuts at the net and ran about half way thru the run I felt the hook let go and was bummed except a few seconds later I got a huge jolt on the rod and it felt like a much larger fish was on. When we got it back to the boat we were dragging it sideways as the line had wrapped around the fish and when it spit the hook it grabbed him in the middle of the back. When I am in Steelhead mode I consider 50% making it to the net a darn good day.

• 1 year later...
Owners are the answer they don't let go The problem with Steelhead is slack in the line they will charge the boat wrap the line around themselves and often shake the hook out. We had one a couple years ago that went nuts at the net and ran about half way thru the run I felt the hook let go and was bummed except a few seconds later I got a huge jolt on the rod and it felt like a much larger fish was on. When we got it back to the boat we were dragging it sideways as the line had wrapped around the fish and when it spit the hook it grabbed him in the middle of the back. When I am in Steelhead mode I consider 50% making it to the net a darn good day.

Any suggested size/style for reg and magnum spoons?

tia

Al

Any suggested size/style for reg and magnum spoons?

tia

Al

Well, an email to Owner hooks has yet to be answered, but a bit of research shows maybe a number 2 hook for regs and a 1 or 1/0 for mags.

This sound about right?

Al

• 1 month later...

All my trolling spoons have siwash hooks ,,,makes storage easy and the net is the biggest benefactor of a single hook ,,,I havent noticed any difference in hook up ratio

I just spent this weekend pulling off the front trebles on my trolling stick baits that had 3 trebles ,,the VMC sureset on the back of my stick baits helps with hook ups tho

• 2 weeks later...
Have any of you ever tried circle hooks?

Did some fishing with them in Florida recently and I was impressed.

I use circle hooks with very good success using them bait fishing off piers. The idea with them is that as the fish moves off with the bait/hook the line will go into the corner of the mouth and then the hook imbeds in the jaw at that point. You shouldn't set the hook with a circle hook as it will pull out of the mouth and not hook the fish. For that reason they are not intended for use on "lures" where the fish strikes and the force of the strike sets the hook. Not the right hook style for spoons or plugs.