Blowback from stacker releases

How much more blowback is caused from using a stacker release vs attaching a release directly to the rigger ball?

I am thinking it may be beneficial when using downriggers to stop the downrigger ball from coming up out of the water to reduce the tension/stress on the cable especially in wavy conditions. But if doing so it would require use of a stacker release higher up on the rigger cable. It seems to me that this may result in more blowback.

i use my release just above the ball then put my stacker about 5' to 10' above that. i never really paid any attension to the blow back being that much worse when using the stacker. im not saying the extra blow back wasnt there im just saying i didnt notice it. but i wasnt fishing that deep, only about 50' to 60' down. im sure the deeper you go the more your going to notice the blow back using a stacker above your usual release. i have never just used a stacker up the cable without my regular release.

but then when i get a hit on one of the releases i never notice any big change in the blow back with only one line left going to the release. but then maby i should just pay more attension to whats going on,LOL. i use the 13 lb pancake weights.

sherman

I never noticed any difference with a Black stacked 15 ft up. I do however see a difference with a cannon pinch pad same distance up.

p.s. don't put release directly on weight. It'll affect how it tracks. rather put release on line just above weight.

How much more blowback is caused from using a stacker release vs attaching a release directly to the rigger ball?

I am thinking it may be beneficial when using downriggers to stop the downrigger ball from coming up out of the water to reduce the tension/stress on the cable especially in wavy conditions. But if doing so it would require use of a stacker release higher up on the rigger cable. It seems to me that this may result in more blowback.

so far from the very few replys you,ve got we dont think its going to cause you enough blow back to worry about. you should be able to put a stacker say 10 ft above your weight without having a problem. but if you place your release inline just above your weight you wont really have any problems bringing your weight up above the surface. but thats totaly up to you.

whichever way you decide to go you might want to check out the chamberlain release. it goes inline just above the ball, so the ball can spin or turn as many times as it wants to and not have any effect on your release or your line. and they have an awesome stacker that you could use. it just clips on your cable anywhere you want it. and in my opinion it is the best release out there. it has 2 adjustments, 1 for rod tension and 1 for lure tension. you can check them out at downriggerrelease.com and click on the video.

sherman

I personally think the whole blow back issue is a moot point. Because the ball does not come up that much even at 4mph there is only a few ft of difference when the ball hits at 90FOW vs 2.5mph. However at 4mph the cables look like they are going nearly straight back but it is really just bow in the line. At 2.5 mph the difference between my 15lb pancake and my 15lb finned round ball was the pancake hit bottom with 103ft of cable and the 15lb ball hit at 105ft of cable. At over 4mph the 15lb ball hits in 90ft at 111ft of cable. that extra 6ft of cable makes for one heck of a bow. We spent a couple days with a friend who loves Lake trout so we got to do a lot of bottom bouncing. out front in Muskegon.