safe ice.

just a report to all my fellow glf ice fisherman.

Took a drive last night and found no Ice that i would fish on. There are guys on the channels at gun but i spudded through with every hit. went 25 yards and turned around. Bait store claims 1.5 to 4 inches. Aint no way. probobly just wants to sell bait.

Weatherall in martin had a good start but then the snow sank her. cant even step on it yet. another week for that one.

Fish lake near orangeville is still partially open. another good week or so for that one. drove over to lower crooked from there and it is covered and I walked out on it. It was a two hitter and then the spud went though and the same for lake doster. another week and we should have good safe ice on most lakes.

I just read a news report about 2 men that went through the ice on timber lake near wamplers lake in lenawee county. One of the men didn't survive. Sad indeed.

I've been wanting to get out but I think we need another week of good freezing temps before it will be safe. I see the temps this upcoming week are supposed to be warm. Guess I'm just going to have to hit the river and try for some steelies.

Stay safe guys! Fish aint worth dying for.

Even though I almost never ice fish anymore I have a Striker Ice floating suit. I bought it because I fish the piers in the winter and falling in would suck so since I needed a new winter suit I got the Striker Ice suit. I did some shopping around and found one that is 2 sizes too big but on closeout so it was 250 bucks with shipping for the bibs and jacket. I spent 6 hours in the boat fishing with it on a 30 deg day and it was like sitting on my couch at home.

• 2 weeks later...

I had to get off from the ice on Saturday in the UP as runoff was taking it out pretty fast. It is supposed to be cold enough to get back out on Saturday again. It will be fun fishing for steelies with all of the fresh runoff. My guess is that they will be on the move and that should provide alot of action.