Power Winch Suggestions

With the low water conditions on the south end of the lake (Lake Michigan) I'm finding myself doing alot more cranking to get the boat all the way onto the trailer. So,I figure during the winter months switch over to a power winch. The problem is I can only find two locally. One is available at both Cabela's and BPS. It is a Trac Outdoor Lite-Cruiser Model T10129-S. Reviews on Cabela's is not very good. There are no reviews on BPS website for this unit. Cabela's also carries a Dutton-Lainson brand with no reviews. I was hoping someone here may have a experience with one of these,good or bad. I'm loading a 18ft. Lund WT Fisherman with a 115 Mercury + kicker and gear,people. On a bunk trailer. All under 4000 lb. Thanks for any help,Rudey

I have the Dutton-Lainson in the 9000 size for my catamaran hull on the dual bunk trailer. It works great for me. My trailer's bunks sits higher than most V hulls and even with "normal" water levels I have to winch the boat on at most ramps for the last 10' or so after powering it on at idle speeds.

In the past with other boats I have had the Powerwinch brand model 712 and 912. They worked well too. I like the Dutton better though as it seems a little faster with more power and has a strap rather than a steel cable plus was lower cost.

i just put a 3000# atv winch on my bunk trailer with a 28 ft sea ray and it didnt have any problem loading my boat. the winch i got has the double brake the mechanical and dynamic. but i still dont trust the brake on any winch, so i use a safety strap on them. i think the atv winches work just as good as the marine winches if not better. i have been using atv winches for the last 15 yrs with no problems.

you dont need a winch big enough to lift the weight of your boat, just big enough to pull the weight on the trailer. my 28 ft sea ray probably weighs around 7 or 8 thousand, and the 3000 lb winch pulled it right up to the bow stop.

sherman

I'd second buying a Powerwinch RC-30. Great unit use mine with a Lund Baron Magnum OB on a bunk trailer. I can sit in the truck and use the remote control to pull the boat up the trailer. I back up when I hear the winch sound increases. You'll be loading by yourself with no problem.

I'm not certain if the Powerwinch RC-23 would work but it has a faster rate for line retrieving.

Thanks,for everyones help and suggestions. I think I will go with the Dutton-Lainson for a few resons. I will be able to pick one up localy(Cabela's),plus it has a strap vs cable. I know from using cable they can "bite you". When I was still working we used wire rope on tuggers,plus at home I have cable on my truck and Gator winches. The only down side is,it does'nt come with a remote.But I probably would drop it in the water anyway. Thanks,Rudey