Reels?

Now that I have some Christmas money.. I was wondering what reels to buy for my down riggers and high divers? I am looking at Okuma Convectors because of the price and I have heard many good things about them.. I was looking on the Okuma website and I see they have a few new models coming out. Has anyone heard anything about these? I need to buy 4 reels 2 for downs riggers and 2 for high divers.. What would you buy? I have about 500$ to spend..

Thanks for your imput!

If you are referring to the Okuma Cold Water reels, they actually have already been released. I have never fished one but have had my hands on them. They are very nice reels and supposed to have the insides of the discontinued Clarion line counter reels.

Convector reels are not the top of the line reels but they definitely are work horse reels. They are a great bang for your buck and will get the job done day after day. I have been slowly phasing out Convectors that are many years old and still going strong. There are better reels out there but I do not think you will find a better one at that price point.

Absolutely love the cv30's for downriggers. Not the best reel out there, but for the price they're darned hard to beat. I don't know where you are since you haven't filled out your local but northwoods outlet in Pinconning commonly has them for under 60 bucks a piece.

i have some of the convector 20,s and they are great reels for the price. they do get the job done. i dont like them as well as daiwas sealine sg series reels but they are a close second. i just fish for walleye and use the sg17lca reels for everything. but i wanted some reels for large planer boards so i bought some of the convectors. i had heard good things about the convectors and liked the price on them.

sherman

I have a bunch of the cv30d's as well, from 3 color through 6 and on the divers as well.:thumb: I had one of my TR200's fail so I stuck a 30 on that rigger rod, liked it so much better that I'm switching out all my tr200s to the Okumas as well.:)

My Dad has Cv 30 for dipsies , I have used them and they work well. I use cv45 for my leadcores and they work great. I really only salmon/steelhead fish 10-15 times a year though. If someone asks me which reels to buy I recommend convectors.

I don't think you can go wrong with Convectors i would however stay away from magda pro's they are junk.. i bought a couple of those trying to save a buck and used them for two days and threw them in the garage they kept popping lose while under tension on rigger and back lashed into a big mess

I got a pair of the Shimano Charter Specials from Santa. I really like these for riggers. The Convectors are fine too. I've been using them for a few years. Last I knew Calumet Marine had the Charter Specials on sale. That's where Santa got mine:)

Thanks for all of your help! My boat is in Grand Haven but with my job I travel the state so I can look on the east side for a better deal, I will look at the Charter Special and see what they are like.. I know my buddy has them on the charter boat he runs and loves them.. But it does sound like I will be going with Okuma for the high divers!

Once again thanks for all of your help!

For the money (about $100 each) the Daiwa SC47LCA are tough to beat for reliability and functionality. The SG47LC drags are smooth and the line counters function well. The SG47LCA’s work well on downrigger rods and dipsy diver rods. The line counters make keeping lead length consistent on downriggers and are truly a must for dipsy diver setups.

Another reel worth mentioning is made by Tica, the SeaSpirit SS348R/C, these reels are in the $100 a piece range as well. The Tica SeaSpirit SS series reels offer 5 sealed stainless steel rust resistant ball bearings, a one piece graphite frame, a drive gear with built-in line counter (SS-C), a one-way clutch roller bearing instant anti-reverse, a forged aluminum spool, there’s a one-way clutch roller bearing instant anti-reverse, oversized drag washers, the main gear is brass and the pinion gear is stainless steel. The drags are every bit as good if not better than the Daiwa drag system. The line counter numbers are easy to see and function well and are not bulky like most every other reel manufacture. The handle can be positioned to be a power handle and the handle knob is easily grasped and large enough to be comfortable during a long fight. The only issue I personally have had is with the clickers on a few stopped working after a seasons use. Just another trolling reel to consider.

• 2 weeks later...

I've ran the same CV 30's for the last 10 seasons now. Still love them. Just ordered new drag kits from Tuna Tom to freshen them up for the coming season and have no intention of getting rid of them.

One thing that you may want to consider for your rigger rods are linecounter reels. I switched to them and I am able to duplicate the set off the riggers and I totally belive that this is crutial on some days. Just a thought..