Todays NRA News Conference

EdB

I have 2 kids in elementary school that I love dearly. This is not about fishing and I don't think it is political. It is about how do we protect our kids from what recently happened in Newtown CT. The debate rages on. I encourage everyone to consider all points of view after this tragic event. If you are a parent and concerned about the security of your kids in school, you should spend a 1/2 hr of your time and watch the complete video or read the transcript of today's NRA new conference. Time well spent if you are laying around doing nothing some time over the holidays. The out of context excerpts or spin from the mainstream media do not accurately reflect what took place today. You owe it to your kids to research and understand the best ways to protect your kids from a Adam Lanza copycat or some other crazy lunatic.

If you hate the NRA, are neutral to them, or love them, please read the entire transcript or watch at least Wayne LaPierre's portion of the video from today's news conference before you comment on this thread. (unless you watched it live earlier today)

If you don't take time to watch or read it all of it, please don't comment on this thread

Here is the video and a link to the transcript:

Video

Transcript and video (without Youtube ads) at this link:

http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg

If you have watched or read today's entire news conference from the NRA, what do you think of it? I think many people might be surprised at what they learn and the common sense solutions that could be employed to address local concerns for school safety.

If you have not seen all of this in it's full context, again, please don't comment. I don't want a nasty debate without all the facts and viewpoints on the table.

There will always be danger, there is no escaping it. Policeman have gone bad, teachers have raped students, students have brought guns, and the list goes on. A comprehensive strategy is needed and arming qualified trained school personal only makes sense to me. 2 men entering a school room with 25 kids in it armed only with knives could likely kill them all and remember what terrorists did with only box cutters. One armed pilot could have stopped it.

Sadly the many lives that are being saved by armed citizens never makes the news which may give many people a more balance perspective on the issue.

A strategy for protection at schools makes far more sense than a gun law and would be able to make a difference far quicker. If this is strictly an issue of children's safety then its by far a better idea but if it is about a social world view that seeks to take the power and control of a nation out of the citizens hands and place it into the hands of a few politicians then you will see those advocates looking only at taking away guns and not seriously providing for self defense.

I had a group of drunk young men park down the street one night and come toward my house carrying clubs looking to do harm to my son. I'll take my dog and gun any day over a 911 call when that situation arrises. Situation was avoided thankfully. If my kids were in school when something like this went down I would give anything to arm their teacher.

My take on this issue: We know every school has plenty of teachers who are gun enthusiasts that have permits to carry. Instead of paying a salary of 50,000 to an officer that sticks out like a sore thumb, let those teachers arm themselves much like air marshals. You don't know who they are but you know they are there. Use the 50,000 to offer those willing, the training to protect our children. Then, instead of having one person to protect our children you have many and the thugs don't know who they are! It does not do any good for a principal or teacher to run out into a hallway to face a gunman with a pencil! God bless those willing to step up. Nothing will be 100% effective.

NRA is a joke. I know they mean well. They're definitely not winning over the younger generation.

1. Colombine had a cop assigned to it for 2 years & the shooting still happened. Sure, the cop exchanged gunfire with one of the shooters. It did nothing. The shooters still made their decision to do that even though they knew their was a cop. The cop's have since changed their strategy to rush in instead of waiting for backup. Either way... This is proof alone NRA's grand idea of arming our schools is a joke and will stop no one.

2. NYC Police in august taking down one man with a gun shot 9 others. Most cops only have to qualify on their firearm once a year. Do you really want someone that shoots a few times during 1 week a year to be pulling a trigger in your school? Sounds real safe.

3. http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3sajdl/

4. The fort hood shooter. The guy shot up a military base. While they had a policy that guns were to be locked up. You can't really expect that its going to take long for a few people to get access to rifles to defend the base. Even with this logic the guy went on a rampage. Just another example that what the NRA says will stop gun violence in schools won't work.

Saying all that. I think banning ar15's is retarded. There should be background checks at gun shows. Private sales should have also have standardized receipt and both parties retain a copy. The background check database should be better. We got to figure out a way for family members to label their family crazy on that database at the very least for a couple of years. Said crazy person should be able to petition & get off of it but they should have to jump through hoops proving they're not crazy. All police nationwide should be required to fire their firearm twice a month on the clock at a semi-public gun range if possible. To make sure what happened in NYC empire state building doesn't happen again & to interact with the public who own firearms. Also, I don't want high capacity magazines banned but I think they're going to be.