deer hunting in the snow

sherman51

this is our last weekend for our ml season here in indiana. there forcasting some pretty heavy snow for northeastern indiana.

i just wanted to get your take on hunting the snow. its always my favorite time to hunt. you can see anything that moves in the woods when you have snow on the ground. i always say you can see a bird fly through the woods at 100 yrds.

do you like hunting the snow?? do you just like being out in the woods when hunting in the snow??

sherman

Its always a great time to be in the woods in the winter time, deer hunting or snowshoeing for that matter. I find my self deer hunting less and less every year, it has turned in to, i hunt 5-6 days out of 2-3 weeks then spend 9 months on the big lake and the rest of the time ice fishing.

Finally took a deer with my muzzleloader in MI on 12/14. We had about 4 inches on the ground. Tracking in snow provides a good reminder on how much sign we miss when the ground is bare. Something like this.

Hmm, having problem inserting my pic

I love to hunt when the storm is coming in. See many deer then and yes, I also believe that you can pick up more movement with snow cover.

LOVE hunting the snow.

I think it actually feels warmer in the woods when it's 10 degres - dry snow coming down that when it is 39 degrees and raining like it has been here in west Michigan lately. I'll stay out a long time in the cold snowy weather because the deer move almost all day. I've been waiting for snow all season. We've only had one little blast here that didn't last very long.

Finally figured out the pics.

As long as you are not color blind, no reason to miss this trail!

blood_trail_2.jpg

i love that trail. my son lost a nice big doe 2 weeks ago because we couldnt stay on the trail. we searched for several hours but just could not find her. if we would have had snow im sure we would have got the deer. he hit alittle high and alittle far back because of a slowfire with his muzzleloader.

sherman