Used boat recommendation

Jamey

Are you looking for easy trailerability, or better ride in the waves?

The aluminum boat will be much easier to pull at the expense of riding waves. As to sleeping in a cuddy, generally the Islanders have more head room than the Grady, or Pursuit. All three would work fine though as well as many other brands of boats.

You'll get a ton of opinions on here from fellow members with the whole aluminum versus glass debate but ultimately it'll be whatever you choose and the reasoning why. All three boats are usually considered well made, but any used boat is only as good as it was taken care of.

Mike really put it well.

The Pursuit will give you the best ride, followed by the Grady, then the Islander.

The Pursuit, and Grady are both walk-arounds. Do you need a walk-around?

The Islander will float higher in the water, and tend to bob around in rough conditions, but will give you the best economy.

Welcome to the site Jamey.

As much as I grew up loving Islanders I would never own another one. The rivets will leak and fail usually in a spot that is a PITA to access. They will kill you to run hard in anything beyond 1ft waves. The Grady and Pursuit will run wide open in stuff that will jar your teeth out in a Islander. Like it or not if you fish the Great lakes the day will come you need to make a run from hell to get back in. A slow moving cork would not be my choice for that.

I'd go for the 21' Pursuit. The 20' Grady Whites always seemed a little cramped all around to me -- especially in the cabin but didn't seem to translate into more fishing area. Islanders are nice serviceable boats but sit too high on the water for me. Having had both aluminum and glass on the Great Lakes, I would highly recommend the fiberglass hull. Yes the lighter hull can be towed easier and doesn't need as big of an engine, the ride quality in almost any chop over 1' will mean you are either slowing down or beating yourself and hull on the water.

On the Islander you need to worry about leaking rivets. If the Grady and Wellcraft were ever slipped, make sure there hasn't been water intrusion - especially in the transom and stringers.

What brand/model engines are on each boat? One might be significantly better than the others or one could be more difficult to get parts for... either way might affect your decision.

Thanks for your thoughts guys. My current rig is a 19' Alumacraft w/ a 115 merc outboard. No cabin, pounds badly, very tough to troll a straight line in rough water, takes a tremendous amount of focus to catch fish solo and I fish alone A LOT. I don't feel the least bit unsafe in it, but my wife and daughter generally don't enjoy fishing lake superior in it. I average about 2.3 miles per gallon with it out and back and trolling.

I wanted to find a cuddy that would move fast enough with a 150hp engine. A 22' Islander seems to go 40mph with a 150? I'm having a hard time finding a used Islander set up for an outboard. And now I'm hearing the ride is rough in the chop Superior sees pretty much everyday.

Originally I thought any boat I got had to be 22', but it sounds like a 20' Grady might handle the waves as well as a 22' Islander? I'd really like a 22' Grady, but I think I'd need a 225hp outboard for it and that's more gas than I want to guzzle. Used Grady's are a whole lot easier to find.

Also seeing some nice 21' pursuits, but again it seems i'd need quite a bit bigger engine than what I'd like. I really like the Pursuit the best though. Gonna have to do some research on fuel economy. I think my wife and daughter would probably feel the most comfortable in a 21' pursuit or bigger.

Tough decisions.

Sorry so long. Again, thanks for your thoughts.

Jamey

I've never been a fan of walk-arounds for two reasons:

1 - Less space in the cabin - not a huge deal but if you have a lot of stuff to store, space is priceless.

2 - Less space in the helm/seating area - the space the walkaround takes up leaves less room for the seating and less aisle space between the seats which makes for a very crammed feeling. You basically turn a 8.5 foot beam into a 6.5 foot. Might be ok with only 2 people on board though.

Also, I really see no reason to need easy access to the front deck up on the bow

I've always loved the Islanders - however, I think the Pursuit would be a good boat too despite my statements above.... tough decision - good luck!!!

Outboard 22' Islanders are not very common. A friend has one and the extra room in the fishing area without the dog house makes it a much more usable area. His has a 150 hp on a bracket but I don't know if they all have that configuration or not.

A walkaround on a 20-22' hull makes getting to the bow easier than a full beam cabin, but "walkaround" is not really an accurate description. Creeparound is probably better. Still beats having to go up through a hatch in the cabin though.

Personally I much prefer an outboard over an I/O for many reasons. Not having the dog house really helps for being able to maneuver in the rear of the boat. More room for people on board and also helps when out solo when you don't have anyone else to move things for you. A bracket mounted OB is even better since it gives you a full transom with no splash well or cutouts across the stern.

When fishing solo out of a cuddy cabin I am not convinced that the size of the boat is that big of an impediment. I have had a Bertram 20' I/O cuddy, a 22' Cruisers SeaDevil bracket OB WAC, and a 24' I/O Chaparral cuddy. Docking was about the same on each of them but was probably easiest on the SeaDevis due to the OB. By far my current boat (21' SeaCat center console w/ dual 90 OB) is much easier but mainly due to the twin outboards. In all of them, when docking solo it is more of a matter of being prepared with ropes positioned and getting the mid-ship line connected to the dock followed by the stern line.

For fishing sole the most important thing to me is an autopilot... any autopilot! Nice whether you have flat water or a 3' chop. The AP will steer better than anyone you put on the wheel and makes fishing a whole lot more pleasant. They are not cheap but nothing in this type of fishing is. I first got my AP when I was able to get on the big lake an average of 3+ times per week. Now, with the limited amount of time I get to be on the water, I appreciate it as much or more since I get to enjoy the fishing more. That said, I would look for a boat equipped with hydraulic steering since that gives you more options for an AP and makes it easier to install if you go with it in the future.

Very intersting topic. I run a 27 Grady. I would put that ride in rough water against any boat. However, there are we riding spots under power :) Grady make a great boat that can fish in any conditions you want. They also have some issues (rare) but issues like all manufactures do. No matter what you buy, have a survey, it is well worth it. If you have specific Grady questions that I may be able to answer feel free to pm or call me.

Kyle

www.jennyannsportfishing.com

A small Islander won't ride any better than what you have, in some conditions it will ride worse. The only way you get a better big water ride is a heavier bigger boat no replacement for displacement. While my fishing partner loves the fuel economy of his 17ft Alumacraft he would rather chip in on gas to fish mine most days than his. I am looking to go up to a 32 to 36ft this year if the money is right Which will mean less days on the water in the bigger boat but we still can take Steve's 17 on calm days. With my wife's neck injury she can't take the ride in the 26 any more so I am hoping a bigger boat will let her come back out fishing a few times a year. A avg fishing trip in my 26ft is about 20 gal of gas that is about a 7 mile run in and out and 3 to 4 hours of trolling. I can run on plane at 26 to 28 mph in 1 to 3ft chop all day long and have made a 26 mile run in 4 to 6ft waves at close to 30mph.

Kyle made some interesting and informative observations. I too will make one, consider a bigger boat at least, the big waters require it for sure. Like 26' size to begin with, not any smaller than 25' for sure. It's your life out there, and friends/family that you think about in the end. It's a buyers market now, research the entire spectrum of possibilities, just saying. I saw this as a requirement in 1983 when I heard the stories and history out of Ludington, and knew the minimum size was not in the early 20's. Sounds like 1Maniac has a 26' for sale soon, maybe his will do ya.

Very intersting topic. I run a 27 Grady. I would put that ride in rough water against any boat. However, there are we riding spots under power :) Grady make a great boat that can fish in any conditions you want. They also have some issues (rare) but issues like all manufactures do. No matter what you buy, have a survey, it is well worth it. If you have specific Grady questions that I may be able to answer feel free to pm or call me.

Kyle

www.jennyannsportfishing.com

I meant there are "wet" riding spots under power..

Good advice above. I personally have a 23.5' Crestliner Eagle which is an aluminum walk around with an outboard. Love the boat but it does bob around some in the waves. Compared to my Lund I had though it seems much safer and I don't know any better about the bobbing, although I couldn't imagine trying to tow a glass boat around like I have to.

Here's what I'd say about the gas usage. Make sure you get a good 4 stroke kicker and then you don't have to worry too much. I probably use less than 10 gallons of gas for an 8 hour trip. The main motor is on for maybe 30 minutes each way and the rest is on the kicker that just sips.

When I was looking I thought I wanted the walk around. As I found out, I don't go up to the bow much and the extra room behind the console would be nice. In the cuddy it didn't matter because it only took up room at head level and not bed room. The one nice thing about the walkaround is that I can run my planner board rods farther up towards the front of the boat than I could if it didn't have that. I'm only talking a foot or two so they're easy to reach but it does leave a little more room for dipsey rods and such.

Just to throw another opinion at you.

All the boats mentioned by the OP are good choices. We're all partial to what we like for various reasons. I like the ride of my glass boat over that of a metal boat on the water also. While the glass is heavier, I am not quite clear on the issue of trailering. Mine is only 21', and is heavy, but trailering it is not an issue. The only thing that I wish was different about my boat, is that I had an outboard. The 4.3L v6 is a great engine, but, an outboard would definitely extend my fishing season. Good luck in your search for your boat.

Welcome to the site Jamey! Seems like you have gotten some really good help already but thought I'd throw in my $.02. I have a 22' Sportcraft WA with a 225hp 4.3 L V6. I bought this particular boat for a few reasons. I wanted a boat large enough for my wife to be comfortable on and at the time any future children. I also wanted a ride that was good in any waves that were small enough for me to fish (5' or less for me, under 3' for the wife). I live in the exact center of the lower peninsula so trailerability was a huge factor for me. I narrowed it down to 20-25' fiberglass due to these factors. I've ridden on Islanders, smaller aluminum boats, smaller fiberglass boats and even large cabin cruisers up to 38'. The 22' ended up being a great size for me. If I wasn't going to trailer I would definitely go up in size and add a 2nd engine. I wider beam would be better to as it would improve the ride. The problem is that when you add the 2nd engine and go wider the price goes up substantially. Also the upkeep goes way up. It sounds like ride quality is your most important factor so to me that would eliminate any aluminum boat, sorry Islander guys. Now it comes down to the walkaround question. I chose a WA because the layout gives you more room in the back to fish. The cabin is usually smaller but it is pushed farther forward than conventional boats. The cabin is narrower though, so that might be an issue if you plan on sleeping on it. To be honest a boat like Mike's that 1maniac linked would be a pretty good setup for you. The cabin is bigger for sleeping, it's wider and longer so the ride would be better, and it has twin 4.3's instead of 350's so the gas mileage should be better. Or a larger Grady with twin OB's could be good too. If you find a newer one it should get decent gpm and have room. Plus I think that Grady makes boats up to 27' that are only 8'6" wide if you did want to trailer. Overall, it really comes down to what is most important to you and what your budget is. If you want something that would really move and be comfortable you could get something like Boltman's cruiser. But then you are talking a whole different financial range. The best thing would be to go look at different boats and if possible get them out on the water before you buy. See how much gas they use, how the ride is and how big the cabin is. If you come up with some options feel free to post them here and the guys will give you the pro's and con's of each one. Good luck and have fun, it should be an enjoyable experience. And like was already said, get a survey. Best money you will ever spend.

Welcome Jeremy. Choosing the boat that is right for you can certainly be a tough decision. I notice you say you go out on Superior 5 - 7 times a year, really not much time on the big water......do you mostly spend time on inland waters?

Glass or tins is a good question. I lived in the Keewenaw peninsula for 8 years fishing Lk Superior on a regular basis where I progressed from an 18' Starcraft Mariner to a 22' Islander, mainly for the larger hull and the cabin. Both boats served the purpose well as most of our fishing was done within 5 miles of shore and when I got the Islander I would make trips to Isle Royale. Now that was a bit of a run but the sleeping accommodations were included in the boat so that is why I went with the islander. I towed that boat a lot to Lk Michigan, fishing out of Manistique and Menominee area for various tournaments. Being aluminum made it easier to tow and was great on gas with a 4 cyl 120hp engine. When I moved to Mesick, (35 miles S Traverse City Mi) my port of choice was Frankfort. I really appreciated the lighter weight of the Islander making that tow every weekend as the hills from Mesick to Frankfort can really put a strain on the tow vehicle. The Islander served me well while I was there and on good days would run out 10-17 miles scum line fishing. During all those trips I never felt in peril that the Islander could not handle the waters. Granted I did not deem it necessary to go out in high seas as I don't enjoy fishing when it is that nasty on the water.

Sold the boat when I moved to Kentucky but when I returned to Michigan I bought a 19' Thompson (glass). It is a used boat but was in good condition, the price was right, and I was itching to get back on the water. Yes, she is a bit heavier than my Islander was, I believe the listing was 1800lbs for the Islander and 2200lbs for the Thompson. My port of choice where I live now is 60 miles away to which I trek to almost every weekend. Yes, I now burn more fuel towing each weekend than I believe I would if I had the Islander. The boat does ride fine on the water and can handle some pretty good surf but again, I try to stay within surf limits that are comfortable to fish in. The downfall, no cabin and it does have a tendency to dive into the waves (when trolling) whereas the Islander being lighter seemed to rise better into the waves. Both boats will pound and beat on your body when trying to run fast in heavy surf. Yes, to a lesser extent in the glass but still not enjoyable in either.

This summer I was able to pick up an older 24' Starcraft Chieftan (aluminum) that I currently am restoring. The cabin area in this boat is much larger than that of the Islander and has a deeper hull. Now I will again have the option of slipping the boat for a weekend of fishing and still have the lighter tow. It has a 140hp mercruiser which will be good on gas but still plenty enough power to cruise along.

So for me I still like the aluminum boats and feel they are suitable for the conditions that I like to fish in. (I am no hot rod on the water, relaxation is the name of the game).

Good luck with your search and hopefully your decision is satisfying for your needs.

Thanks guys. Lots of good tidbits here. I used to fish walleyes a lot-thus the walleye boat. Haven't had time to fish much since my daughter was born 6 years ago. She's old enough to fish now, so last year we spent a few days on lake of the woods pulling in walleyes with her tinkerbell pole-fun fun stuff.

I read about the trout and salmon fishing on Lake Superior last june. Thought it sounded fun, so I dug out the old junk rivieras that came with the boat but never worked. I took them apart, cleaned the grease off the clutches, replaced some parts, bought some cheapo rods, some spoons and the most detailed chart I could find and now it's all I can think about. The best part is how fabulous those lakers cook up-tasty tasty tasty.

Downrigger fishing is by far the most fun fishing I've ever done. The only bad thing was when I threw a coho back because I was worried it was a steelhead and wasn't quite big enough to keep. Next trip I had good pics of all the salmonid species in the boat.

My preferred spots are 15-25 miles from the ramp and I can't afford twin outboards or anything like that. I'd say 200 hp moving 25-30mph is about all I can afford to fish on my own regularly-should get me around 4 mpg or $40-$60 per trip. When I have no land-lubbing ladies aboard, I can just tuck in somewhere, sleep in the cuddy and spread the cost over two or three days. Dam does that sound fun! Only 5 months to go.

I'll still take my daughter up to LOW this year to chase walleyes, but other than that any fishing I do will be on superior. Will be taking my first trip to Isle Royale this summer-been planning it for a month already. Just gotta find someone to come with me.

Yeah, an outboard.

Price range is probably $4k to $14k or $15k.

We don't need to be comfortable. When I was 9 my parents and two siblings and I spent a month on a 16' sailboat. We moved up to a 24' and thought we were kings of the world.

Most likely I'd be sleeping alone in the cuddy. My wife and daughter would want to sleep on solid ground.

Ok, you should be able to find a nice boat with what you are looking for. I will throw out another recommendation. One of my friends bought a 20' Sea Swirl with a 150 hp Johnson on it. The boat jumps right up on plane and moves along 30-35 mph real easy. The part that might interest you is that it has reel high sides on it for when your wife and daughter are along. The sides are quite a bit higher than on my boat. I think his boat is a 1999 and he paid around 12K. The Pursuits and Islanders you have been talking about are going to be harder to find with an outboard. And if you want a 4 stroke it will be very hard to find any of these boats in your price range. Since it will be just you sleeping on it the smaller cabin on the 20-25' boats shouldn't be an issue. If you do plan on fishing solo I do recommend an autopilot if you can afford it. And wear some kind of tether or cut out for the engine in case you fall overboard. You might want to expand your search out to other brands of boats and really see what's out there unless you have a specific boat in mind. If I get a chance I'll take a look around and see if I can find anything that would suit you.

Jamey, you might want to check out this 24' Welcraft WAC w/ a 225 Mercury Optimax. Has a hardtop with a rocket launcher and for fishing early & late seasons up on Superior the hardtop with the clear vinyl sides might be real nice. Price is a little higher than your listed range, but I wouldn't be surprised if they wouldn't take an offer rather than hold on to it over the winter.

http://kalamazoo.craigslist.org/bod/3461900674.html