Sign in to follow this  
luremaker

northern pike patterns for trolling spoons

I am looking for some input on some color patterns that have worked for trolling spoons for northern pike, I had some one ask me the other day if I could paint some spoons for trolling for pike, I told them that I don't normally spray pike spoons ,but I would ask around if anyone has any good patterns and colors that work for them. I know they would be using them in the U.P. So if any one has any info I would love to hear it. I know red and white are always good and I have heard yellow and red can also be a hot color also. but from there I am lost.

Thanks

Luremaker

Perch pattern, red & white daredevil, black & white daredevil, yellow/black 5 of diamonds, yellow/red 5 of diamonds, firetiger. Daredevil used to make a "hammered look" paint, all one color and that's very good in gold or bronze.

I have found Perch patterns are good as well. Have had some good luck with a Smithwick with a white belly when nothing else seemed to work, so a white back to a spoon might be something to think about.

Other than that, black and yellow drives them crazy at times!

A hammered gold or copper blank with, like mentioned, black stripe, firetiger, or orange/black. A buddy's favorite spoon was gold/orange/black spots. Especially if the water has some color to it.