2 WD Tow Vehicle

IRon

Was just curious how many here use a two wheel drive pick up for a tow vehicle? I need a new tow vehicle and I've run across a deal on a 2wd thats almost too good to pass up. It's an 2004 F150, I just have to verify what rear end it has. I know it has the towing capacity, just a bit concerned with launching/retreiving since I'm so used to 4wd, but can't really say I've ever really needed it. I have a 2160 Crestliner Eagle which weighs less than 5000 pounds totally loaded. I'm sure I won't be using it on icy ramps. Any opinions will be appreciated.

I run a 2WD 2008 Silverado and pull a 22 ft Starcraft Islander hardtop. Most of the time I have no trouble pulling the boat out of a launch. One time on a wet steep ramp it was a no go. I was able to pull out by seating some heavy hitters on the tailgate and angling up the ramp. I may have been able to get out just angling up but the guys were there so I added the ballast.:lol: I recently added two tow hooks to the truck and carry a pail of cat litter for traction. I also carry a recovery strap. I never have had a problem at my primary launch site, but all sites are not created equal. It's nice to have the 4WD but I don't regret not buying one. I got the tow hooks on eBay for around $30 and the 3 inch 30 ft strap cost $25. I may not ever need the hooks or strap. I hope this helps with your decision.

I use to pull my 24 Fourwinns with a 2wd Dodge Dakota. but only 7 miles to the marina, I could launch with no issues, but pulling out I had to use the marina's yard truck.

I currently pull with an Ford Expedition, I have only needed 4wd once to get out and that was the ramp in Hessel, MI. it was very steep and wet, used 4 low just for more torque.

the 5.4L motor works great, I have 270K on mine now. Plugs have not been an issue, but keep a spare coil pack in the glove box. you will get really good at changing them.

11 years with a 2wd F250 only one time I ever had a Issue on a wet ramp and still got out but the guys did push a bit to get me rolling. I would say launching and pulling my 26ft close to 200 times that one bad time was acceptable. I will see how the F150 does next year but it is 4X4 with posi so I doubt I will ever need to use 4X4 but the boat is close to 8000 lbs on the trailer. I know i won't be making long trips towing the boat in it but I can always borrow a bigger truck from work for that if need be.

I always got the vehicle in 2wd. I've never had any issues. I tow an 18 ft aluminum. I must also say even though the boat is pretty light I've had a good amount of water in it and never any issues. Ramp isn't the steepest but its steep enough for me to see a few unhooked boats a year dump their boats off rollers onto the pavement. I'd worry if your local ramp is really steep or you had to put your truck tires in the water to pull your boat out.

Was just curious how many here use a two wheel drive pick up for a tow vehicle? I need a new tow vehicle and I've run across a deal on a 2wd thats almost too good to pass up. It's an 2004 F150, I just have to verify what rear end it has. I know it has the towing capacity, just a bit concerned with launching/retreiving since I'm so used to 4wd, but can't really say I've ever really needed it. I have a 2160 Crestliner Eagle which weighs less than 5000 pounds totally loaded. I'm sure I won't be using it on icy ramps. Any opinions will be appreciated.

I have a 2004 Silverado, two wheel drive and my boat and trailer weigh 3,400 pounds full of fuel and tackle. Never had a problem launching or retrieving, but a lot of places I used to fish when I had a smaller boat I don't even try and launch.

Hopefully my next one will be 4 wheel drive but this one has served me well.

Paul C.

To look at it from the other side of the coin, in the last 35 years we have only used 4wd for towing once, wether for boats or the farm. And that one time there was knee deep snow and had to pull a gravity wagon full of corn home, so 6000-7000 lbs, needed to use the 4wd to get going.