Drag upgrades

I had some older reels that I have been using for trolling that were about 25 years old. Penn 320 Gti and Diawa Great Lakes 47LC line counters. These were fine reels for their day but the drags were getting a little jerky. I sent them to Tuna Tom Reel Troubles in Lundington Michigan. They were cleaned and serviced, upgraded the the drags to carbon fiber. Now they are like new... silky smooth drags, smooth as silk initial start up, no hard buttons or clickers. Because I had 8 reels I got a discount so the total cost including shipping was $179. Consider the cost of new equipment what I got was a deal. Turn around was less than 2 weeks. If you got a old workhorse that you like but its not what it used to be try this guy out.

http://www.tunasreeltroubles.com/

Another plug for these guys. I've ordered new line counter window covers for my Diawa's twice now. Last order was on Monday, glued the cover on yesterday. Fast service. Never thought about upgrading drags though. Good idea.

Paul C.

I was up in Manistee for a wedding in June. I called them up the week before and told them what was up. Dropped the reels off, they had them done the next day:thumb: Four dipsey reels that work WAY nicer than they ever did. Plus I had a nice discussion on which reels are good and which to stay away from. Straight up good dudes .

i,ve used them for a couple of yrs now. they do great work at a great price. i had bought some reels off ebay and took them out trolling with my lite bite slide divers. they were giving me some real problems. i sent them in and the problem he found was the new braid i put on them was slipping on the spools. he put pins in them and upgraded the drags. they all work like new now. and if i put new line on my reels now i start with 200 ft of 17 lb mono then add my braid. i even do this with the ones with the pins so i get the same amount of line on each reel.

tuna tom can fix just about anything.

sherman

I picked up 4 of the 320GTI used from a friend and when I went through them I added drag washers from Smooth Drag and the reels have worked very well, none of that stickiness they seemed to of had before.

New drag washers can indeed make a old reel work smooth again. :)

Al

Tuna Tom Copenhaver is the MAN to see for reel repairs for sure, and his prices and turnaround are unmatched. This is ALL he does now in retirement, and for someteen years before. Keep in mind too, he's the nicest and most friendly guy all around, try him, you won't go to anyone else afterward. And, he stands behind his work, 100%.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The power handles from Tuna Tom for the Diawa Great Lakes 47LC are a must.

you think the power handles are great on the 47lc,s. i have all sealine sg17lca and accudepth plus adp17lc reels. they all had the paddle handles on them. i replaced all of them with the power handles, it was like night from day. it was a real job reeling in a nice 6 to 10 lb eye up on the central basin. but now its really easy to crank them in. i recommend the power handles for all the smaller line counter reels.

i got all the power handles from tuna toms. its been a couple of years ago now. but i only paid around 9 or 10 bucks each, and worth every cent.

sherman

• 1 year later...
Anyone ever put the drags in your self i need to put some in some daiwa 47h reels.

I do all mine, having a bit of CRS I have found taking digital pictures at each step is a great way to figure out which way that spring went when assembling them. :D

• 1 month later...