Knife sharpening that still works

Dave Mull

Knife Sharpening for the Ages

Noticed a fellow greatlakesfisherman member wondering about knife sharpening and thought I'd share the tools I've found to work really well.

dsc_0002.jpg

The Edgemaker knife sharpening system has done the writer right for nine years.

About nine years ago, I was down at the Cincinnati sports show selling magazine subscriptions, and in the next booth was a retired couple selling a knife-sharpening system that I'd not seen. It was called the Edgemaker, and after three days at the show, watching the gentleman demonstrating how he could take a dull pocket knife from a passerby and sharpen it to the point it could shave a Kleenex, I finally bought a set of them. Don't remember what I paid, but I just looked for them online and found that direct from Edgemaker, the same set I bought costs about $30.

dsc_0004.jpg

The four-part system is fast and easy—it takes about a minute to resharpen a knife.

It's a four-part system, and it has kept the knives around the house and my fillet knives in really good shape. All you do is start with the blue-handled Edgemaker, lay the tool flat on a table making sure your hand holding it is out of the way of the blade, and snick the knife through 15 times. Then you do the same thing with both sharpeners on the orange-handled one. And if you want, you can finish up with 15 pulls through the yellow-handled on, which dies a final touch polish and straightening of your new edge.

dsc_0005.jpg

dsc_0006.jpg

The first step removes some metal from the blade, shaping the edge.

I don't know if it's the best knife-sharpener I've ever used as I have an electric one that does a fine job, too. But it's certainly the most convenient system. We keep the three sharpeners in our drawer for kitchen knives, and they're always there and always handy. And I leave them there instead of packing them up for fishing trips at other places--I just don't want to lose them at some cleaning table, and I have a couple of small "v" style knive sharpeners that are good for touching up a blade after a mess of salmon.

Just thought I would share.

One hint is don't let them get dull. I use a steel after every cleaning session and sometimes halfway through a heavy cooler. Never have the need for a sharpner as the steel keeps it razor sharp.( I realize the steel is a finishing sharpner of sort.)

I use a hand held diamond steel.. It will flat out lay a razor sharp edge.

I have a store where I sell windows and doors. To pass the time on slow days I sharpen knives. I charge 3 bucks a pop. Some that come in are really doinked. I will hit them on my wet grinder to get em refined. Then work the edge on a few different sets of diamond steels.

Here is what you will find in my pocket when I am fishing most days. http://www.gerberknives.co/product/Gerber/Knives/09841/Sharpener-Diamond-Knife

I have several of them and for a fishing sharpener they rock not because it does a perfect job but because it is small and provides a consistent result. It will sharpen anything you can think of most days and is the size of a pencil and costs 10 to 20 bucks depending on where you buy it. It puts a sharp chisel point on a hook in 3 or 4 pulls thru the V groove or use the rounded sides to touch up a knife while cleaning fish or the flat side to fix a bad edge. If I were stranded I would want this in my pocket.

I have used the Edgemaker for a long time and have been very happy with them, might not leave the "best" edge by some standards but but they are easy to use, quick and do a nice job by my standards, which is to keep a good edge on my pocket knives, hunting knives, fillet knives and houshold knifes. I keep them in my "Box of Death"(fishing knifes and hardware for cleaning fish), my hunting gear and in the house.

I too have the Edgemaker in my fish cleaning kit along with a nice steel to keep the edge clean and tuned up. I'm sure that with more effort and a different hone I could get a better edge, but after 6 years of using the Edgemaker I'm still happy. Very easy to get a knife sharpened up right at the cleaning station.

I might have to give these a try. Even though my current sharpener does a great job, Mike (red eagle) drinks to much of my beer while he sharpens them. He uses a stone and does a great job but it isn't as convenient since we don't work together anymore. I can't sharpen a knife on a stone for the life of me.

Dave,

Do they work on serrated blades as well or only on smooth edged knives? I've been looking for a good knife sharpening system.

Thanks,

Tim

Yes works on serrated blades -- I use on my electric knife's blades. Here's a video from the Edgemaker site on doing serrated blades.

https://secure.edgemaker.com/sections/tutorials/Video.aspx?flv=serrated

• 4 months later...

I know these are not as portable but, I recently purchased a Work Sharp knife sharpener. This thing really does work well, I've looked closely at my edge after using quick sharpeners and I think they may work but they do a lot of damage IMO. This thing has changed the way I clean fish, I always used an electric for walleyes but, after using this tool I can easily rip through ribs ( I used to cut off the top of the ribs when using a hand knife before) on walleyes in the mid 20 inch size. The larger walleyes (if I keep them) still prove to be somewhat difficult too cut through ribs. Anyways cleaning a 2 man limit is no prob, either is a 2 man limit of perch with this sharpener. I have a couple of old Rada's that I haven't used in awhile and with a good edge these knives are amazing. I would estimate it takes under 3 minutes to completely sharpen a dull knife, and that is with changing a belt! Worth checking out for fillet knives and hunting knives!

• 1 year later...

I love a sharpe nife. Allot safer and easier to work with. My brother and I use two medium forchners that have some flex. We have tried most sharpeners out there including what dave showed everyone. What Dave suggested used to be what worked for us, but we now use a simple sharpener by Rada. It is just Two stainless steel washers on a plastic stand you pull the knife through. It cuts metal of the knives and leaves a kind of rough razer edge. It lasts about 7-10 fish and you just hit it again a few pulls with less pressure each time. Cost like 8 bucks. Easy and fast. I have my parents get them in Florida or sometimes get them from a lady who sells Rada Knifes in Harrison, MI at the flee market. Keep several in the kitchen at home too. Once you use you would have to stick with it because it cuts the blade pretty good.