Boat camping and big lake fishing in Wisconsin

Bad Dog

My wife's priority is vacations. Mine is salmon fishing. Next year I want to cross Lake Michigan from Manistee to fish the Wisconsin shore for a week or so. Several years ago we visited and fished the ports between Washington Island and Sturgeon Bay. Next year I'd like to hit several ports south of Sturgeon Bay. We did't get to Algoma the last Wisconsin trip, so that will be somewhere on the itinerary. I'd appreciate any input on fishing and attractions at ports near Algoma. We won't have a vehicle so recommendations on marinas within walking distance of town are helpful. I travel with my wife and two dogs in a 30' Pursuit. We usually travel over the 4th of July, or the week after Labor Day, so making some arrangements in advance is helpful.

I have not been around Algoma or Kewaunee in a few years so I can not really comment on what they currently have to offer. There are a bunch of guys on the site that fish in those areas so hopefully they can give some guidance.

not sure how far south you would be willing to travel but Port Washington is a pretty awesome place with the Marina and town molded together. Otherwise quite a ways farther south, Racine and Kenosha both offer the same feel with a ton within walking distance of the marinas.

IMHO.....Baileys Harbor has the best of both worlds...a little something for the wife, shopping, go around the other side with the boat for a day trip to Fish Creek then Egg Harbor, more shopping and good food, but fish on the Bailey's side...you really can not go wrong with the upper Door Peninsula in July and August for fishing or shopping ...and if the weather takes a turn for the worse...you can always duck out of the wind on one side or the other

I like Sheboygan for the fishing, but the cleaning station is about 6 blocks away from the marina it seems, and after spending alot of time with friends local to that particular area, the neighborhood surrounding Harbor Center is a tad sketchy- lots of reckless teens hanging around that area.

Kewaunee would be my first choice and docking at Salmon Harbor Marina, They have great facilities with showers and cleaning stations and a campground right on the habor and the shops are less than a 1\2 mile away across the river and also a nice bar\restaraunt a short walk from the marina...

John