chute rigger on i/o

I would like to run 3 riggers next year on the new boat. It has a kicker which I plan on using as much as possible. My question is, would I be messing with fire trying to do this on an I/o? My plan was to get a rigger with a 5' boom and mount it on a swivel base. When I wanted to set it I would swing it to the side and out of the way of the prop(if using the main motor). Anybody done this setup before?

I would think that with a 5' boom you shouldn't have a problem reaching past the outdrive, you probably only need 3' to clear. If your in rough water and the weights are swinging to much just turn the rigger 45 degrees before you lower the weight. Once in the water the blowback should keep you far from the outdrive.

From your home page it looks like you have a slickcraft, perhaps 20', 7' beam? and I'd rather see a high chute rod holder there than a rigger, just because outdrives, whether running or not, are still a factor for tangles. And that's not a fun mess to deal with anytime, esp. in bigger waves, which will factor in for prop tangles for sure. Why not run a chute rod holder and run your copper there? Or just a high line? Or get one of the jet divers that dive straight back? Just a thought. You can always move the rod and net fish there in center, see?

if it was me i would just mount it over on the other side from the kicker. i have never been a big fan of the chute rigger. but i like landing my fish in the back of the boat.

like was said if you really want to run something down the middle run a diver straught down the middle. then you can work under it to land your fish. when i was running 4 riggers i ran 2 out the side and 2 off the corners pointing straught back, then just left the middle open for fighting and landing fish.

we have enough nightmares with tangled lines and lost fish at the boat without adding more problems. this is just my opinion. so please dont get upset if its different than yours.

sherman

The new boat is a 01 trophy 2352 with a 8' beam. I was only running 2 riggers on the slickcraft and seen 3 on a few other boats (12' beam). I can see how it would be a little challenging running it in the center while trying to land fish at the back. I have run high lines out the back before but they would ocassionaly get tangled in the fish we were fighting. Looks like I will be sticking with 2 riggers. I don't like tangles and a tangled up prop with stainless wire don't sound like any fun. Thanks for the help

When I sert up my Tiara 2000 (20'-2") I put a center rigger on her. After the first season, I took it back off. I just did not like it there. It was a pain to set, and got in the way when netting fish. The first time you try to bring a fish in between the out down, and center rigger, you will not be happy. It is easy to run a center rigger on a straight inboard, but with an IO, it is just to far back. Keep the back open for netting fish.

and just imagine how a Center rigger would be in the way ( the swim deck was not there when we had the center rigger)

I have ran a chute rigger with an I/O for several years without any issues. Turn it 45 degrees when setting lines and when bringing it up if it's rough. And when netting feisty fish. Lots of guys with straight inbaords do the same thing when netting. I use a 4' boom but have even used a 3' without issue, just makes me nervous that someone will forget to turn it when bringing the weight up. I would be lost without the chute rigger because its a good gauge of whether things are running straight or not.

My previous boat was 23ft with an 8'6" beam and powered by an i/o and was rigged with 4 riggers w/ 4' arms. Lots of times I only ran three riggers with the center rigger straight down the shoot. Never had a problem. I always keep the boat moving when hooked up and would swing the shoot rigger to one side or the other depending on which side was hooked up. Net fish straight off the back.

BTW that shoot rigger accounts for 75% of my fish...;)...

DSCF0030.jpg

Cheers...Jake

I ran three downriggers on a 19’ Cruisers with an I/O (no kicker) for 17 years and never had a problem. I used the Cannon Mag 10s which have about a 54†boom. I had high profile swivel bases mounted to a trolling board that was 84†long. The centerline of the downrigger was about 15†from the top of transom. I used the Cannon weight retrievers to bring in the ball when attaching line to the release.

I located the middle downrigger off center of the I/O drive because I trolled with the I/O. I was 24†off the centerline of the I/O drive on my setup.

Now here’s the best reason to mount that third rigger. My usual catch ratio was 2 to 1 on the middle rigger! I’d always make the middle rigger my deepest. I would run a lead no longer than 25’. Spoons caught more fish than dodgers or flashers with flies.

Landing fish is best done clearing a side rigger and taking the fish on that side of the boat.

I agree with those who say it's no problem regarding the rigger to prop concerns. I run 4 riggers (Big Jon electric with 3' arms) on a twin I/O boat, so the two inside riggers are in line with the out drives. It's never been a concern. When landing a fish, I put the inside rods in holders on the outside riggers to spread the lines a little. I land fish behind the rigger wires so they really don't come into play too much. What I will say about a line set behind a prop is that the rod tip gets lots of movement from the propwash so it's difficult to detect shakers or a fouled lure on that set.

you can run your 2 riggers out the side of the boat. this opens up the whole back of the boat. why mount the rigger in the middle when you can move it over to the side the kickers not on?? then you dont have to swivel it to the side to bring it in or to land a fish.

i have run 4 riggers many times over the last 35 yrs. i mount 2 of them just alittle forward and run them out the side. then mount the 2 back riggers on the corners and run them straught out the back. i have never had a problem running them this way. maby im just lucky. if i was going to use a kicker motor i would just remove that 1 corner rigger and keep the other corner rigger in play. or you could mout the back rigger in about a foot and still mount your outside rigger in the corner, and still have a big hole in the middle of the back of the boat for landing fish. just my opinion.

sherman