Thumpers?

fisherdee

I saw on Mr. Mulls blog he mentioned thumping the salmon on the head before putting in the cooler. Is this a common practice? How many of you do it? Does it really make a difference?

I have seen a lot of videos where the fish are netted and then just flipped out of the net to flop around on the floor. That would seem to bruise the meat also? I dont hear many fish flopping around in a cold cooler, but then again, I dont hear so well! lol

Last.. what you using for a knocker?

I'm not sure if it was because of larger fish or what, but i used to "subdue" the fish after netting with a mini ball bat that I turned on the lathe. There was a bat sold commercially called the "Fish Billy". The purpose was to calm the fish down so I didn't end up with a treble hook in my hand while dealing with the lure. Seems these days, I don't need to fight the fish quite so much and don't feel the need to give them a tap.

I'm about 50-50 thumping fish on the head. Depends on the situation. I mainly do it to avoid getting a hook in my hand. Most of the time you can just grab the fish and remove the hook without a problem. My wife insists on whacking them so they don't suffer in the cooler :)

We used to "thump" them quite often. Now a days, we just flip them into the cooler and extract the hook. In most instances we don't need to "thump" them, but if we get one that is especially squirrely we will not hesitate to subdue the subject with a "thump" on the noggin.

I did not buy one like Ken I did however build 3 or 4 of them and use them all the time I even gave one to Steve for his boat. Nothing fancy just a piece of 1/4in Rod bent to make a S about 5in long with a 1 1/2 wood dowel for a handle. I used the dowel to form the bends I don't have the measurements but I think the rod was cut to 18 in before I bent it. Cost was about 15 bucks to build all of them and got everything a Lowes The rod is a 1/4in Galvanized ground rod I think it came in 6ft or 8ft lengths. Here is a pic of one being used. img_20120804_180238_555287.jpg

I have a double use for my pliers both removing the hook and "thumping" if the fish won't settle down. I had one of those S shaped holders and when I handed it with a 18 # King on it to my son to hold up his fish for a picture he didn't realize the fish was as heavy as it was and his hand went down and the fish slipped off the hook. When if fell off his hand jerked upward and the fish holder went flying out of his hand. Its in about 110 feet of water out of Holland if anyone wants to look for it.

I've had some troubles with both big fish, over 30#, and also smaller 6-10# fish, that really get aggressive, and have the hook buried real deep into the throat, like way way down, and a quick flick of the fish billy does the trick, sometimes even a couple of flicks is required. I remember we used these quite often in the days when our flies/squids had 2 single hooks on them, and if both hooks were really buried, it could get nasty without the billy. Nowadays, the hooks are bigger, and we use trebles more, so the change of tackle use is making the billy less popular, but, I still keep two on the boat. I like the looks of the wood anyhow, and if I have a bad first mate, or customer, I can always get it out and give the guy that "look" to keep him in line too....lol.

fishholder.jpg

Had a Maint guy at work fab me up a fish holder! we call in government work! lol made of 316 stainless steel I think it will work very well after I put a comfortable grip on it. Hopefully you see this and me in photo's next year... holding up some hogs for the camera!

I have seen many videos of guys that just go nuts and beat the fish senseless , I just grab em at the back of the head and toss them into the cooler , unless one gets way out of hand , most of the time I can have the hook out and in the cooler before anyone can get the beater out. Besides I like to hear them making a ruckus in the cooler.

I tie them to a rope and cut the gills and bleed them out over the side of the boat. No bloody mess when filleting and the bleeding out makes for a superior product.

This is a method of having tastier filets and it really works. West Coast fishermen have been bleeding Silvers and Kings forever.

• 3 weeks later...