Recommended rod holder for dipsies and musky lures

What you recommend to be used as a rod holder to troll both dipsies and musky lures separately on a flat line or with planer boards, (mast or inline)? Have been looking at both Cannon's new rod holder and Down East - Salty rod holders. Do not want to use plastic. The boat is a 17 ft Lund Pro Sport and may consider using track. However very hesitant about drilling into the gunnels.

All advice and suggestion will be appreciated.

Thank you

jim

The musky guys I know use the Salty holders due to not wanting any slack in the line. They will work for dipsey's but are a pain as far as I'm concerned. Personally I would get the diver holders (Big Jon's, Cannon's, Bert's) but I'm not a musky guy.

I started out with Tite Loks but took too long to adjust them to fit different situations. Then went to Pursuit (now Traxstech) and they were good but without ratcheting made getting a diver rod out a little difficult. Went to some Vector horizontal triples that could be laid nearly flat for divers and lift for removal -- very good but I replaced them with some vertical rod trees for boards and tried some Bert's ratcheting for divers. The Bert's worked well but I didn't like the need for two hands to adjust them down. So I changed to the new Cannon dual axis rod holders 3 seasons ago. The Cannons are great -- ratchet for removal, hand grip adjustment with one hand, both up/down & left/right adjustment.

I have not had them, but I have heard good things about Big Jon's ratcheting rod holders. i'm very happy with the Cannons though, so not going to change anytime soon.

the cannons single axis ratcheting rod holders have it hands down. i put them on my boat and love them. they are heavy duty and can be adjusted to fine tune how you want them. they are one hand operation and ratchet to the upright position just by grabbing your rod and lifting up then just lift the rod out of the holder.

the first 4 i bought i got the double axis off ebay and then i got the single axis from amazon.com. and the single axis you just loosen up and turn them where you want them then tighten them back down. the double axis you have to pull a pin and go to the next hole, nothing in between.

RIGHT NOW THEY HAVE THE SINGLE AXIS AT AMAZON.COM FOR 66.00 EACH WITH FREE SHIPPING. ofcourse you still have to buy the tracks. but you can choose the lengths that suits your needs. let us know what you decide.

sherman

I really like the concept of the Down-East rod holder. What I don't like about them is the rod butt sticking into the boat. Might work on some boats or situations where the rod is near the transom, but not for me.

I absolutely hate the rod butts sticking in the boat :mad: If you have a rod butt sticking in 1 foot on each side, you are really shrinking the width of your boat 2 feet. Nothing like a rod butt in your gut while running for a rigger rod. I like to have nothing in my way.:thumb:

i started out with home made rod holders. i had a friend that worked in a tool and die shop. he made some nice solid holders. then i found the cabelas quick draw rod holders. they were great for the fishing we did. but we did all flatline fishing or downrigger fishing. then when we moved to the central basin of erie i wished they made a better holder for the dipsies that you could set and ratchet up like the cabelas quick draw. they worked great for me for everything elce. i removed the back plugs where the holders ratcheded up and put bolts all the way through. this stopped the rods from sticking all the way through. but when we moved to the central basin they really worried me. they still worked ok but they are made from some type of plastic. and they would twist around on us with the dipsy divers. i was always afraid they might brake. but they never did, but i didnt use them to long before i changed holders.

when i first started looking at the new ratcheting holders i was looking at berts and cannons. i didnt find the big jon ratcheting holder at that time i dont think they were on the market yet. i couldnt really make up my mind which ones i wanted. they both sounded pretty good. they had to give me piece of mind over the plastic ones i was using. then i found the big jons and thought about contacting tony at lord of the riggers. but the big jons were priced over 100.00 each and berts was about 68.00 each and cannons were around 71.00 each at that time. then i seen 4 of the cannon duel axis on ebay auction. i wanted to try them and i got them for i think 60.00 each, so i bought them.

i did love the double axis but they have a square base. so the only side adjustment is with the pin thats used to adjust them. you have no little adjustments you can do. you use one hole and if you need to turn them around alittle you have to go all the way to the next hole. so i checked into the single axis before i bought any more holders and tracks. they have an oval base and give you like a 70 degree of travel and you can stop anywhere and just tighten them down. if you want to go another 1/8" then just loosen them up turn them 1/8" and tighten them back down. at this time amazon had them priced at 59.00 each. so i bought 4 more. that way i can run up to 4 divers on each side, but i usely just stick with 3.

then i have 2 of the cheap outriggers i use. i was using a titelock rod holder for my outrigger and one of the old quick draws for my fishing rod. then one day i checked the price of the cannon holders and they were down to 54.00 each. so i bought 4 more of them. so i have 6 holders on each side of my boat. so i can run 3 or 4 divers( and by the way i run the lite bite slide divers now) then i can run my outriggers, and it looks much better with all the same holders.

another reason i wanted those extra divers. years ago i bought a duel planer board mast and used it alittle on the western basin for running flatlines. but i havent really had a need for it here on the central basin. but they have come out with inline weights which i seen in action this year on a charter. and they now have the trip 40,s and trip 50,s. so i,ve been doing alot of thinking, this would just give me more options.

then tony at lord of the riggers had an electric planer reel that had been a demo, then i asked what kind of price he would give me on the demo and then on a new one. well i wont tell what he priced them to me but it was one i couldnt turn down. so i now have 2 same as new electric planer reels. i already have a real nice set of custom boards. so with the cannon holders and all the adjustments i can run my 3 lite bite slide divers and 3 inline weights or trip divers off my boards. i can fish 6 people and never have to use my downriggers.

i do all my fishing on lake erie now. i havent salmon fished for a few years. but the cannon holders will work either place. if you live close to a bass pro shop or a cabelas you should go and see if they carry them instore and check them out.

i have already wrote a book here but i had to put this in. i just checked the price of berts rod holders at amazon.com. one holder is 71.99 times 6 is 431.94. or you can buy a 6 pack for 455.99 making them 75.99 each. go figure. good luck with your new rod holders and catch alot of fish.

sherman

• 1 month later...