Muskies STILL Suck

Dave Mull

Book Review By Mull

book_cover.jpg

"Muskies STILL Suck" By Pete Maina

OK, I’m definitely NOT a musky angler. I’ve fished for them a few times and even caught a 38-incher trolling on Lake St. Clair, but this does not bring me close to understanding the insanity that takes hold of a fellow in pursuit for a really big freshwater fish that features teeth and is known to eat poodles. I am not a muskie fisherman. There is no 50-inch replica hanging over my fireplace and not just because I don’t have a fireplace. When I fish, I like to set a spread of lures, uncork a beverage and chat with friends, waiting for the next silvery salmon to hit so I can thump it on the head and slap it in the cooler, destined for the grill or smoker. I just don’t get what’s fun about grinding one’s palms into cole slaw on a reel handle, chucking a three-pound lure time and time again, hoping against hope to see a fish follow the lure back to the boat, maybe hook it, fight it into a big net, take a picture and let it go.

Not that I’m against catch-and-release, I just never have understood the rest of it.

So, what am I doing reviewing a musky book I don’t intend to read?

I just got done putting the goats and chickens away and have a little time to do something while sipping a cold Budweiser and waiting for the Monday night football game to start I guess.

Pete Maina, a guy I once saw across the aisle at a tackle show apparently wrote a book called Muskies Suck, as he recently announced the release of a book called Muskies STILL Suck. I’ll admit, I sort of would like to read it based on its cover, which shows Pete, wearing what is apparently his trademark pink fuzzy hat, arms spread wide apparently showing the size of a suck-o musky that made Pete think it might bite.

So not finding a press release about the book, that’s it for the review. Nice cover. Probably would read it as Pete does seem like an entertaining guy. I know this because I just watched some of his Maina Vents on his petemaina.com website. He vents about the Packers getting screwed by replacement refs, about too many people in Florida and about people who blame poor walleye fishing on protecting too many bass. It really is funny and he has the kind of big personality that doesn’t ooze big ego that makes for a good TV show host, which he also is.

So check out his book and his site. It’s something to do while waiting for a football game to start.

Edited by Nailer
added link