Question about running inline planer boards

When I am running boards I like to keep the rod tip high while it is on the holder so a little as line as possible between the rod and the board is dragging. When reeling them in I like to keep the rod tip low to prevent the boards from jumping and diving, the closer to the boat they get the more important this is.

Keep 'em high! This helps keep the line from the rod to the board out of the water and the board will run cleaner through the water. A couple years ago I went from horizontal rod holders to a rod tree. The boards run better when up in the tree which puts them a 1-3' higher than the horizontal setup.

Thanks guys, went out last night and got 1 bow. She was cold. The waves were around 2'. I was using the lower holders and the boards were definitely jumping. Will try the upper holders. Supposed to be almost no wind this week do I'm going to try and get out again.

Thanks again.

Your rods should be lower if you're running your boards close to the boat (maybe within 30'?). You don't want the rod picking the board up, you run the risk of the board diving if it hits a wave just right or you get a fish on.

Otherwise, they should be high.

The best rod holders for inline boards all are angled at 45degrees, and usually stacked vertically 3 or 4 high, U run the rods at that angle to keep the board from dragging your line too much, when a strike occurs the board slides back and u lower the rod tip and retrieve the board then fight the fish from there. We have learned that deeper presentations are run closest to the boat, ie we run 450 copper then 300 copper then a full core or 10 color of 36# leadcore and then our short cores from there. Lake michigan angler towers really work well and are very inexpensive compared to some other brands. Don't be afraid to run light drags with clickers on to alert you to strikes, and good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Been a while so I don't remember what size I used to use I think it was 3oz Off Shore snap weights but you put a snap on it and hook it on the line. Hold the rod up high so it slides to the board the weight when you get the right size will lay the board on it's side and it will fall back behind the boat so you can reel it in. Zero hassle for outside boards. Inside boards just stick the rod tip in the water and reel Having the line in the water will tilt the board and it will reel right in fish on or not.