wire rig shopping list

Guys I have decided to get the wire rigs together.

I am going to use 2 10ft Cabelas dipsey rods and Diawa 47 lc's (the older ones)

I have read your recommendations on wire, but what do I go with?

2 1000 ft spools of 30lb test, 19 strand Torpedo smoke?

the same in Blood Run 7 strand?

Torpedo snap swivels- What size?

And I decided to get 2 Torpedo tips

so I really dont know which wire to go with and the size of the snap swivels I need

thanks for the continued advice!!!

I really like the 19 strand and will never go back to the 7 strand again. Go with one spool per rod 1000ft in case you do have to cut back. Since i have changed i have not had the kink issues. They did have an issue at first but that has been fixed. It is easier to tie the wire knot for the swivel. Also (knock on wood) i have not lost a diver due to the wire breaking. For a swivel i use one of the ball bearing swivels off my spin doctors. The torpedo tips are great to work with use 5 minute epoxy to glue them on. They come with a piece of shrink tube in case the rod tip is smaller than the guide.

I really like the 19 strand and will never go back to the 7 strand again. Go with one spool per rod 1000ft in case you do have to cut back. Since i have changed i have not had the kink issues. They did have an issue at first but that has been fixed. It is easier to tie the wire knot for the swivel. Also (knock on wood) i have not lost a diver due to the wire breaking. For a swivel i use one of the ball bearing swivels off my spin doctors. The torpedo tips are great to work with use 5 minute epoxy to glue them on. They come with a piece of shrink tube in case the rod tip is smaller than the guide.

19 strand wire really works well and it takes the knots well. I have fewer kink problems and like others haven't lost a dipsy since I went to it. Tie on at least a #5 crosslock or coast lock swivel and have fun, I personally use the twill tips and have no problems with them, but that is personal.

Ok I see.

I guess I misspoke about the use of the snap swivels.

I want to buy them for my baits, not the wire connection

Just figured I would order everthnig at once, I see the Torpedos are a favorite, I was wondering what size I should order

And can I get the bright wire or should I wait until the smoke is available, looks like next year?

thanks

I have run the silver and smoke wire and didn't notice a difference. You might be able to get the wire from a local retailer and get the smoke now if you want it. I would also suggest placing a large bead on the wire before tying on the swivel so that when you reel them in you can reel all the way into the tip.I actually do this with my braid divers also. I'm not sure on the swivel sizes. I switched to the Dreamweaver swivels a few years ago and that's all I use now. I had issues with the Sampo swivels and I try to keep everything identical so I only use 1 brand.

I have used a variety of different snap swivels (Sampo, Dreamweaver, Opti, Torpedo...). I really like the design of the Torpedo snaps better than the others. They are actually a different design that all of the other brands. Unlike the others, a fish/lure pulling on the snap actually keeps tension on snap where it clips closed. I also like the fully rounded nose which I think gives the lures the best action. Cost wise they are actually cheaper.

For small spoons I use the #1, for large spoons and plugs the #2.

The big Torpedo swivels are perfect for heavy connections like connecting to divers and 10 oz weights. The small ones are nice and small for spoons, and they started making a ball bearing swivel if line twist is an issue. For our longlines if we're running flasher flies, we use two swivels back to back.

Guys I have decided to get the wire rigs together.

I am going to use 2 10ft Cabelas dipsey rods and Diawa 47 lc's (the older ones)

thanks for the continued advice!!!

Brian, I have the same reels on my high/outside wire divers. They work good, but it is a must to get new drags, and power handles for them.

The new drags and handles can be gotten from Tuna Tom in Ludington.

His online store

I put the 19 strand torpedo wire on the same exact setups you're talking about except with twilli tips on the rods. After a couple of weeks I noticed a lot fraying buildup on the levelwind guide of the reel. I think the friction of the eyelets was chewing up the wire. I switched to rollers rods and have not seen the issue since. Don't know if it was the twilli tips or what, but just wanted to share my experience.

I put the 19 strand torpedo wire on the same exact setups you're talking about except with twilli tips on the rods. After a couple of weeks I noticed a lot fraying buildup on the levelwind guide of the reel. I think the friction of the eyelets was chewing up the wire. I switched to rollers rods and have not seen the issue since. Don't know if it was the twilli tips or what, but just wanted to share my experience.

There is a lot of friction with Twilli Tips. The 19 strand wire is definitely softer and needs a roller tip. The Torpedo Tip is made for the 19 strand wire and works well.

I think to put 1000 ft of wire on a reel is not nessary.Load the first reel backwards.put on 500 ft of 40# wire 300yards of 50#fireline or the like,fill the reel up with 50#mono.wind.now you know how much mono to put under the wire and backing.wind onto the 2nd reel. and load the first again correctly using the same amounts.

I think to put 1000 ft of wire on a reel is not nessary.Load the first reel backwards.put on 500 ft of 40# wire 300yards of 50#fireline or the like,fill the reel up with 50#mono.wind.now you know how much mono to put under the wire and backing.wind onto the 2nd reel. and load the first again correctly using the same amounts.

I disagree if you are running back 300ft and have a break off you dont have to refill the reel to get back out 300 ft or a tangle where you have to cut back. with having 1000 ft you can cut back and not worry.

I agree that 1,000' of wire is more than enough, but I have not figured out a good knot to allow connection to a backing material directly or with a small Spro swivel to be able to use less and still fill the reel. The overhand knot works well for connection to the terminal tackle but leaves a protruding end to get caught. What do you do to connect the wire to the backing?

I agree that 1,000' of wire is more than enough, but I have not figured out a good knot to allow connection to a backing material directly or with a small Spro swivel to be able to use less and still fill the reel. The overhand knot works well for connection to the terminal tackle but leaves a protruding end to get caught. What do you do to connect the wire to the backing?

I tie an albright knot but do about ten twists with the superbraid around the wire.

The cost difference between the baker line, and new wire is not worth it. 1000' of wire is the way to go. I have 4 wire rods, all with 7 strand Blood Run. They all started with 1000' and are down to less than that for one reason or another (mainly resetting spinnies in a hurry with rough seas). You will get tangles, broken strands, or cut offs. When wou loose 200' of wire and only have 500' to start with, it is not a good feeling.

I have been using wire now for 6 years, and love it. I had troubles with the original 19 strand with it breaking a strand and wadding up around the rod tip.