trolling with verados

flywasher

I have a chance to buy a 2007 boston whaler "305 conquest" with twin 275 verados. My question is can anyone tell me if i can troll with these engines for salmon and trout down to 1.6-2.6mph? I've heard differing opinions about outboards not being able to troll that slow.

Thx for responses in advance.

I don't see why you couldn't, depending on which props you have it may not want to go that slow, but if you go to small with props you may be hitting your rev limiters on the high end. I saw Mercury had a troll control right at the shifter which would be absolutely amazing for tuning your speed. Trolling bags are always a good idea in my opinion not only for stability, but to keep the rpm's up a hair and give better boat control. I would imagine that the negative trolling you've heard is about 2 stroke outboards.

A buddy over in Chicago bought a 2007 28' Whaler Conquest with twin 225 Verado outboards this past spring. He had no trouble trolling with them this past summer. I'm pretty sure that all of them have the digital throttle control to allow RPMs to be adjusted in very small amounts -- 25 or 50 RPMs at a time -- which is great for adjusting speeds when trolling. 275 HP should do the same with the bigger hull.

you can always add a set of trolling bags or get a trolling plate. if you go with a trolling plate be sure and check out the easy troller. you can find them on line for 99.00. you would just need one for the motor you plan to troll with. right now i use the easy troller on my mercruiser. but i found a set of nice bags this last summer. so i am going to give them a try. i used bags once and the best i remember i just didnt like having to put them out and bring them back in. so i,ve been hooked on the easy troller. but im willing to try the bags again. i didnt really give them a fair chance the last time.

i,ve heard how the bags give you better boat control and speed control in rough water. so i just want to compare them with the trolling plate. i know it works good, but you do speed up quite abit when a big wave hits you in the rear. but you may not need either one. i have a 28 ft boat with twin 4.3 v 6,s and i can troll for walleyes with it on one engine without a plate or bags. but its been broke down this year.

sherman